Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey eveyone, Flounder101 here...Just thought I'd share a "true" fish story that happened to me last year while fishing with my son at the seagull pier.
I was fishing for flounder and hooked a really big one. As I pulled it up, it got caught up in the piling. After pulling and pulling, my line finally broke so I tied on another rig and fished some more. I had so many bites that day that I decided to go the next day as well. On the next day (just about 24 hours later) I was fishing in the same spot (where I hooked and lost the big flounder), when I got caught up on something agin. As I reeled it up, I could see it was a large flounder, but it seemed to be hung up on something. Finally, it broke free but I still had the flounder. My son lowered our pier net and pulled up my almost 5lb. flounder. As I looked at it, I discovered that this was the one I lost the day before with my old rig and broken line still attached! The flounder had been wrapped around the piling all night until I retrieved it back on the next day in perfect condition!
How's that for a "true" fish story!

Tight lines and good fishing!
Flounder101

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had this happened to me once at lynhaven inlet. I was telling my buddy who was fishing with me about a time when i was fishing in florida with a friend, he got a fish, it broke off with his lure, the next cast he had a fish on, when he went to net it he noticed that his lure was actually hooked to the lure he had just lost, the reason i was telling him the story was because i had just lost a big flounder rig and all, retied and recasted and began telling him the story as soon as i finished the story down to the word i got a bite, reeled the fish in and sure enough i had hooked my rig and the flounder was still hooked to it.....

true story :D :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was fishing with my dad couple years ago at point lookout right after rain storm. We were catching nothing but small stripers. I say it was no bigger than 11 inches. As my dad reeled in another baby striper, WHAM!!!!! his rod bent in half....5 minutes later he reeled in a half of striper and 6 to 7 pound bluefish... funny thing was this blue had set of rotten hook on side of it's jaw. I guess it was really hungry. After careful consideration we decided to release the fish so it can live another day to give some other anglers a chance to experience the blues' awesome display of power...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Several years ago off the north corner of Hatteras Island Pier in Rodanthe, NC - I had a med sized king on, brought it to the pier and while we were trying to gaff it the fish jump off and lazily and very slowly swam to the south right along the front of the pier. Rolland Johnson saw this and ran for his gaff which was at the ready nearby. As the fish swam by he swung the gaff out beyond it and yanked. He gaffed the free swimming fish!

Thought I had seen the last of unitl last summer. We hand been chunking for yf tuna at an offhsore spot about 60 east of Va Beach. Nothing all day, no bites. The only fish we saw was a small 20-25lb blackfin tunua that kept circling the boat, but would not eat our chunks. After severl hours of watching this fish circle us Michael (Bubba) Tomesch grabbed the boat gaff and immersed it in the water. When the fish swam by he gaffed the fish and brought it the boat in one swoop! No Way!!! We all stood there in stunned silence.

Lou

1 - 4 of 4 Posts