Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught a 1lb 10 oz pompano by my digital fish scale and found out it was 6 oz off. Looking to replace it and looking for input on tackle box size accurate digital fish scale ya'll might use. Accurate weight is the key. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Any scale that gets banged around on a regular basis will not stay true. A measuring tape will be the same every time.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point Benji. Weight gets the paper tho. Probably just read amazon reviews and go from there and replace every few years. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Weight gets the paper yes, but not on YOUR scale. If its questionable by the measurement, take it to an official weigh in station.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What kind of scale are you using? I've used a Rapala mini-digital scale for several years. Have weighed fish on the beach, then at a certified weigh station several times and it was right on the money. The only problem I've had is when it was switched to weigh in kilograms and I couldn't figure out how to get it back to pounds.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mine is a old berkley 50lb. It is good enough for weighing suitcases for travel within a couple of pounds. Weighing fish ounces can make the difference on a citation. I surf fish and would rather keep fishing when I catch a big sea mullet or pompano unless my scales say its within a couple of ounces then I would take the fish to the tackle shop. Last week caught a 1.14oz pompano weighed on the beach and was 2.4oz at the tackle shop. That's why Im getting input from fisherman about their scales. Reading amazon reviews aren't always accurate.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Keep a digital food scale in your truck.. is another option It's far more accurate than one of those fish scales you buy at bass pro.

·
Registered
29 Posts
One thought, look for a scale that maxes out at 10 pounds, if you just want to check for mullet and pomp citations. Will be more accurate in that range than a 0-50 lb scale.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that is a good point slosh. I target them, pups, trout and flounder, all relatively small stuff since I only fish from the surf. I do not have a boat. Most scales run up to 50 lb or 100 lb Ive seen so far but I will look more into smaller weight scales. Thanks again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had a cheap China brand form off eBay. That has been taking a beating for years and is still accurate. Most of the box store brands didn't work for dick or last.

·
Registered
126 Posts
There are 2 Rapala mini scales. One up to 25 lbs, the other up to 50 lbs. I'm using the 25 lb version with good results.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts