Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Sr. price was $189.95 and the Jr. was $154.95 on Thurs. 7/24/03. When I checked yesterday I noticed the increase in price. I just bought the Sr. today from my local tackle shop for the $189.95 price.

Has anyone customized their Fish-n-Mate? If so, how? Any pictures you can post?

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
What i did was covert a wheelie cool by coleman the one with the large handle and wheels $12.00 and went to boaters world and bought a rod rack for 6.00 drill 4 holes and some stainless stell bolds and your there.This thing looks and works great for under twenty.Im thinking of adding some kind of seat but i better not go to overboard.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Its not that tough to make one

I made one and it's easy. Everyone has a friend with a mig welder or has a local shop that can offer aluminium welding. If your stuck you can arc aluminium, but the welds aren't pretty. I used the tires from an old riding lawnmower my neighbor was junking. But you can use wheelbarrow tires or some of the lawnmowers have large rear tires. You can probably get them from a lawnmower repair shop. They can spin on a bolt.I should have used the spindlesfrom the mover but used round stock. There is a little play in the wheels, only noticable when empty on pavement. You can get the aluminium from a local metal supply company. Ask if you can go into their shorts and pieces dumpster. While my cart isn't all polished and my uncle now has it, the fish can't tell.

Rich

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, Baran013 that sounds great. I know what a great feeling that must be to make someting yourself. I'm not that talented. I stated out using a handtruck and then switched to one of those grocery carts but it couldn't carry all the things I keep comming up to take to the pier. So this week I bought the Fish-n-Mate Sr. But I did give serious consideration to making something myself.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Stuff like that is easy to make

It doesn't take skill to do stuff like that. Just time. I'm no carpenter. It took me over half a day for a friend an I to put together a large wooden playground set. And yes, we had to take stuff apart because we bolted it on wrong. If I didn't have use of a mig, I would have bolted it together. You can make one with simple hand tools. Just remember not to put to much heat on aluminium when bending or it bends really really fast. The poles for chain line fencing could work well for rod holders and its galvanized so it won't rust. You could probably make one using metal and coat it with some type of rubberized coating. Only problem might be the weight. Something similiar to rhino liner might work. I know they sell the material in generic kits. I saw a cart at Lowes home improvement that would work. It was a cart with 4 larger air filled tires. You could justify buying it by saying that you can also use it in the yard. Who cares if it never sees dirt only sand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I saw that cart at Lowes. It was on sale 2 weeks ago for $64.00. Two things that concerned me was the weight of it (for lifting it, in and out of a pickup truck) and the metal rusting from the salt air. Thats why I bought the Fish-n-Mate Sr., its aluminum and only weighs 24 lbs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Triggerfish can you tell us what you are using to carry your pier net? An aluminum pole? Did you make this pole? I have a 36in metal ring pier net that I need to carry on my Fish-n-Mate and was wondering how to do it. I am also interested in any other modifications/customization anyone has done to their Fish-n-Mate. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
It's just an aluminum pole about 48" long that fits into one of your fish -n - mates pole holders, you can remove it when not in use, I to have a 36" metal ring net. I found a lenght of aluminun pipe at work that no one was useing(throwing away) and cut it 48" long, made a hook out of scrap aluminum and attached it to the pole,the rope is wraped on one of those plastic extention cord holders which is held on the pole with another hook. No pictures. TRIGGER

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info TriggerFish! The rope for my pier net is wrapped around one of those plastic extension cord holders too. What you have made sounds great. I will have to look for an aluminum pole and hooks for my Fish-n-Mate. Thanks again for sharing your customization with us! Anyone have any others? Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.