Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Laymans term for the rig is a drum rig. A lot of fisherman like to use it for big red drum during the fall season. I even use it for stripers when livelining spot or perch. It is a great setup and can be made easily in different ways. Only bad thing with it is that it is very hard to get a good cast with it b/c of the propeller type of effect it causes when casting it. You can use any type of bait on it. I think it would be kind of a waste of time using blood worms though. It is mainly used for larger fish and larger baits. ie mullet, bunker(chunks and whole), spot, perch, croaker and even large squid chunks.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Nah I usually try to use at least 1 ft though. Just enough so if there is a current the bait will lift off the ground. Oh and if the blues ever start running just double the length of the second line and add a bobber and you have a makeshift blue rig. Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
681 Posts
drum rig

On the regular fish finding rigs that I've seen, the bead is used to protect the knot (knot, bead, swivel). On the drum rigs I've seen, the bead is away from the knot (knot, swivel, bead).
Why is that?

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Orest....That's the exact fishfinder rig I use for livelining. The glass bead is placed between the slider and swivel to prevent the slider from jaming the swivel knot. I use about a 24" leader.

Catman.

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
When Drum fishing in crowds

alot of people put th bead after th swivel. knot,swivel, bead so that th weight dosen't go past your shock knot. I started after fighting a ray an th weight was at th surface. Don't know what caused it but if fishing in a crowd I do it. If fishing alone I don't use any beads.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
catman is right about the lenght of the leader,but what I do different is to put on two glass beads one before the sinker clip swivel and one after it so it won't jam up aginst the knot. The first one stops the sinker slip swivel from jamming against the leader knot. I also use beads( different colors) to mark what lb.test I use to make rigs like(40lb.test-Green)(50lb.test-clear) and so on.:D :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
short leader

I normally use a leader of about 6 inches. Reason being, the longer leader will kill my distance. Another thing, I'll use a breakaway longdistance fishfinder rig. It has an impact sheild which will release the bait on impact with the water. The only down fall is the price. The breakaway stuff is good but expensive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.