Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys put the sinker on the slider or the leader/hook on the slider?
I think people usually put the sinker on the slider. When I was in NY, I put the sinker on the bottom and let the current slide the hook/bait. That's how I got my striper.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hook on the slider??????

If you had the hook on the slider wouldn't it be harder to keep tension on the fish????? Once hooked if the fish made a run up your line it would be more work keeping him on. I would think you'd end up loosing a lot of wanted hook-ups. Just my .02 / I have a hard enough time getting the wanted fish to hit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Having a leader and hook on a slider sure sounds interesting. Almost like a single line King Rig. Instead of the bait swimming along a seperate anchor line, it rambles about on your main line. Pretty neat.

Is that the way you've always done it Husky?

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no

I was limited in gear that day. I just had those plastic fish finder sliders and no way to attach the weight (other than mono) to the plastic, so I thought, why not?

I really have very limited experience with fish finder rigs. Haven't used them much. Wouldn't it be easier to use a pyramid sinker and a large snap swivel as the slider? Just a few beads before and after the swivel.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Husky on most sliders(ones that i have seen) if you look on the part where the weight goes you will see that the snap moves up and down so you can put the weight right on metal part of the slider. (kind of like a bobby pin) and then you move it back down and make sure to snap back into place. I didn't know for a few weeks using them and was using rings to get them on to the slider. I suppose you could make ur own slider as lond as the beads were the right size.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Topsnipe
Basically that is how a float rig works but you cast a sputnik or 8oz weight first then you attach your float rig which consists of a float with a leader that runs thru with your live bait hooks attatched. Hook your live bluefish or big spot clip it to your line and let it go. Hours of fun.. if you attatch your hook to the slider on a fishfinder 90 percent of the time your bait will only travel maybe half the distance...............geo

·
Registered
196 Posts
geo, I figured the bait swimming distance would be cut quite a bit, plus I'd think you'd want to limit the up-distance the bait could swim to maintain the ability to get a good hook-set, if you're using J's.

Dosen't much matter, I can't cast worth a tinkers damn anyway :eek:

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
makes sense

I was fishing a fast current on the Hudson, so distance didn't matter and circle hooks so hookset wasn't a big deal.

I'm glad I asked though, because I plan on using a fish finder rig in the surf at Hatteras this coming week (leave tomorrow!). Want to do it correctly.

Thanks for comments

·
Registered
888 Posts
The bait will swim out there a pretty good ways, small bluefish are good for this. As far as the hook set most people I fish with use like a 5 or 6/0 live bait hook with one or two 4x trebles. Float rigs can be tricky, if the fish dont take it to the weight you could be in trouble but its a good way to get it out there off a pier..I personally dont use them much anymore but have in the past and they work.............geo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.