Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've been a bottom rig devotee for a few years but I'm ready to try somethign new. Can someone either explain or point me to a resource that would explain how to rig a fish finder?

Thanks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Rugger,

Some people place a float between the hook and the swivle. Most of the time just place a piece of Cut-bait with a float or a live perch or men-haden without a float. Cast netted a bunch of them (men-haden) about 3-4" long at SPSP yesterday. Good luck and tight lines,
- Surfman

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, folks, but one question... Do I need to put a bead or something on my line at some distance above the sinker rig?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I guess you can if you want to but that would limit you to how far the fish can run (deflating the whole purpose of rig I would think). Some people put them at every knot but those are usually the people that make them on their own.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would use a bead to stop the slider from going over the knot. It stops the slider from hitting the knot. I would also use the same swivel to attach the sinker to the line. Run the schock leader through one hole in the swivel. Attach a clip to the other side. Attach the sinker to the clip. Sometimes, those plastic sliders break. The swivel is a lot stronger than the plastic slider. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. One last thing, my hook leader (40lb test) is about 6 inches long.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey I also took an idea from a lightweight catfish rig. Instead of a bank sinker and a swivel or slider, I take a 3-5' piece of mono (50#) and tie a swivel at the top slide on a bead, and egg sinker, and another bead. Then depending on what your fishing for another swivel and a short piece of mono to the hook, or a metal leader. They cast really well with everything in line and they don't seem to get tangled up as much with less tackle hanging off the line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts