1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Oh dip, here we go again!:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
The argument over whether fish feel pain. Maybe they do or maybe they don’t. I don’t think that matters. All that matters is my lord said,” we have control over all fish and to take of them.” so I think it is ok to catch fish it does not matter if they feel pain. All these groups that waste time and money trying to change things should try some other cause. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
And fresh pavement!:D I really think this subject is benign all together. I mean I think mosquitoes feel pain when we kill them but I don't see PETA going out there trying to stop the people with flyswatters.:rolleyes: Like I said before we could micromanage and ridicule ourselves into nonexistence if we let it happen!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Al!

Intefere with my fishing, and I'll let you know just how much PETA members feel pain....

Rhode Island has passed the "Freedom to Fish Act" that the RFA is trying to implement along the entire coast. Many states also have enforcable laws in their Fish & Game Codes about intefering with people involved in legal hunting, trapping, and fishing. Although I personally dislike the intrusion of a cell phone on a day on the water, there may come a time when the cell phone may become a fisherman's second-best friend!

·
Registered
904 Posts
fish and pain

I feel that these peta folks got to much time on their hands. Worry about feeding the kids, the poverty in the USA and around the world. God made fish for food, along with the chickens and the cows etc.. He did not let humans themselves free of pain....?? No pain, no gain... To torture them,,no, to catch and disperse them as humainly as possible,,,yes.... Get a life....

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
A name change is in order for them. Instead of PETA it should be PITA's. Most of you should be able to figure it out.:D

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
heck' i feel a new pain everyday a pain knowing i cant go fishn that day ; emaunuel got that right and as far as eating all tasty animals you cook it and past the salt and pepper :cool:

·
Registered
210 Posts
This argument is great--just another of political types furthering their agenda with BS "science". Second hand smoke, cellphones and brain cancer, MacDonald french fries and fat kids, etc. It goes on and on.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I believe fish feel pain. They have nerves, don't they?

It's just that they experience it in a radically different way than we do. Know how you feel when you're on laughing gas? You still feel pain, you just don't care as much. Ditto with the fish--they feel pain, they just don't process it in the way we do.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sandflea,

According to that one article, fish lack the capacity to feel pain because they simply lack that area of the brain to feel pain. It may come down to what you said is the key word: "believe." Coincidentally, a couple days before this article and posting, I caught a small mouth bass and the jig hooked the fish just below its eye. As gently and carefully as I could, I wiggled the jig hook free without blood loss and released the fish to fight another day. (Mind you, the hook never penetrated the eye.) Anyway, as I moved the hook, the fish began to spasm in my hand which made me wonder if they feel pain.

If fish do feel pain, I think it may be in certain parts of their body and as you said, feel it differently. I've never been on laughing gas, so I can't really say and I don't know if that's even comparable to fish feeling pain. A lot of the fish behavior could simply be reactive rather than feeling pain. Or it could be a sense of pressure that exists that may not be necessarily painful. I think we've all experienced pressure in different forms that's uncomfortable and not really painful; Even this may not be entirely comparable to what fish experience.

I think what it comes down to, really, is if we believe or not. If fish do feel pain, I don't think we are suddenly the terrible fishermen the PETA people will make us out to be. For that matter, we as fishermen are doing worse than causing fish pain: We are snuffing out a fish's right to life, according to some people. All we can do is protect our beloved species by taking only what we need and properly releasing them back into the water by cutting hooks and not yanking out the fish's innards over a 10 cent swallowed hook.

Tight lines all

·
Registered
320 Posts
PETA today in Sultan WA released 10,000 minks from a mink farm. These people are so stupid to not think about what they do. the mink they "freed" would never survive in the wild, they are used to their cages that is where they were raised. I understand they recovered 9000 of them but the other will most-likely die to cars or other causes, not being used to the wild. They also do not understand the $ we as outdoors-men put into the very existence of our quarry.

·
Registered
681 Posts
i agree with saltshaker. human beings are also an animal, but we are in the top of the food chain. maybe peta should direct there campaign against other animals in the upper echlone of the food chain, like lions and tiger feeding on other poor little animals. :rolleyes: and they should donate there moneys to the eskimos to supply them of grains and fresh vegetable year around or try to grow vegetable in alaska during winter where some places don't see the sun for months. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts