Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent used these things in a very long time. Has/does anybody use these to catch anything of value. the most i have ever caught was a few spot/croaker off of them. they work great when the crabs are out but i just want another opinion. thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
they work ok, nothing beats live/fresh bait though!

I used some Berkley gulp sand-worms last year, they worked good, try a few different types....

don't go spending a lot of $ on them though, i've yet to try to rechargeable ones but i will this season, they are the $19 ones, boaters world 20% off =]

·
Registered
348 Posts
they work ok, nothing beats live/fresh bait though!
I tested Fishbites Bloodworms head to head with real bloodworms on a couple of occasions and found that the fishbites worked just as well if not better than the real thing. Targeting pomps, croakers, spot or sea mullet, I'll go with the Fish Bites.

Crabs can't eat the stuff, it doesn't die or spoil and no refrigeration needed short term. Your mileage may differ but I don't feel at all like I'm at a disadvantage if I'm using Fishbites.

During a trip to Florida in February I was using Fishbites that were stored in my refrigerator for at least four years and I still caught more whiting than the guys using fresh shrimp and live sand fleas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My friend caught a very nice puppy drum on a piece no bigger than 1/4 inch.

Lynnhaven Inlet along the weeds.

Not likely too happen again but goes to show that more can be caught off them other than croaker if you have a bit of luck.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
If your serious about catching spot then I would bring bloodworm Fishbites as well as real bloodworms. Sometimes they hit the Fishbites in one second... other times they ignore it. I haven't had much luck with the other Fishbite flavors. I always keep a few packs of bloodworm Fishbites handy. I use raw shrimp more than any other bait since just about any bottom feeder will eat it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Fish Bites are some times too good ..they fool even skates and Rays...I suggest if you just want to catch a Pomp or mullet or black and puppy drum..use a live sand flea tipped with fish bites , this usually keeps the skates and rays at bay....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Tried the test of real vs fake as well, and all depends on the day. I have found when I only have fishbites they are only hitting real and vice versa....
Have had luck with Spot/Croaker and even Specks with both...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.