Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be making my first trip to SAnbridge on August 9th. I move to Durham about a month ago and a new job an new baby have seriously cut into fishing time. Advice on best bait and pier versus surf are welcomed. I'm trying my best to have a good trip being there will not be many for a while.
Thanks
Smokie

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sandbridge is a great place to fish. I prefer it over fishing the VA Beach piers, just because there's less people. I've been down to the pier twice in the last couple weeks. I opted to fish from the surf. On the surf you can use bloodworms and you can catch basically anything--spots, whiting, and flounder. I found that I had better luck catching whiting on fresh squid. I hooked up with a 30 inch striper my first trip down there this summer on the surf south of the pier near the end of the park off of bloodworms. I also caught shark off of cut whiting and spots and couple decent size blues off of the same bait.

On the pier use the high and low rigs. Bloodworms and squid will catch you basically what you will catch on the surf. At the end of the pier is where the guys have heavers to catch cobia and larger fish. Bring some metal lures such as gotchas for blues in case they swing by the pier..they are always fun. I've heard that fishing has been slow this summer in general there. Hope your luck turns out well.

Addicted

·
Registered
47 Posts
I may be partial but

The surf has been slow but full of surprises, Ive been a mile or 2 North of the pier for most of the summer (at least once a week since late may). Ive had a run in with cobia, shark, blue, roundhead (very good run ins there), and plenty of skate. The roundhead have been the best very good sized ones comin in off of squid and bloodworm. The amazing thing is the inconsistency in the bite, fast on one day, dead on the next. In my experience Ive always noticed things picking up in august. The one thing Id recommend is if you go dont go for just one day or you might leave with disappointment. Id say that if you want a guaranteed good time wait a week or two longer and keep listening for when things pick back up.
From what I gathered from everyone in here is that pier has been about the same, so take your pick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.