Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lived at VA Beach for 10 years and have never tried it till now...mostly a lake angler. That was wild! I ended up at San bridge about 100 feet out because it was almost low tide. I couldn't cast out to the shelf unless I got out there. No dice though...i was thinking about little island pier in a couple weeks. I've read reports of good success in past years, but nothing recent. Anyone confirm it?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Try behind the market, the s turn around pike st. , and aroud the ramp at back bay. You don't have to cast to far out to catch. Lots of fish swimming right behind the breakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try behind the market, the s turn around pike st. , and aroud the ramp at back bay. You don't have to cast to far out to catch. Lots of fish swimming right behind the breakers.
Thanks... I'll have to give those a shot. I was using squid... Is that a good option?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've lived at VA Beach for 10 years and have never tried it till now...mostly a lake angler. That was wild! I ended up at San bridge about 100 feet out because it was almost low tide. I couldn't cast out to the shelf unless I got out there. No dice though...i was thinking about little island pier in a couple weeks. I've read reports of good success in past years, but nothing recent. Anyone confirm it?
I've never personally fished little island but I have fished the surf around sandbridge. I have talked to folks who had pretty good success fishing it but from what I've seen and been told it is small so it gets crowded fast. If you are going to fish that area, I would just go to back bay. You could use squid and that is an ok option but I would go out with some fresh shrimp, fishbites, and dig up some sand fleas. Just my 2 cents though. Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fresh shrimp. Never bother with that frozen bait shrimp crap (oddly it’s often more expensive than buying fresh...5$ for 1/2 lb tub of frozen bait shrimp at the gas station vs 8-9$ a pound for fresh). Sand fleas for sure. I’ve tried fishbites several times and find them to be lacking. Like salted bait they stay on the hook well, but what’s that matter if they’re not getting bites (I tend to fish very actively and check and recast bait often). I could see their use if you were drinking with buddies or watching the kiddos and wanted a few lines in the water. Hear people tip they’re shrimp with fishbites to keep it on the hook better and that seems valid. Imho. 2 cents.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Fresh shrimp. Never bother with that frozen bait shrimp crap (oddly it’s often more expensive than buying fresh...5$ for 1/2 lb tub of frozen bait shrimp at the gas station vs 8-9$ a pound for fresh). Sand fleas for sure. I’ve tried fishbites several times and find them to be lacking. Like salted bait they stay on the hook well, but what’s that matter if they’re not getting bites (I tend to fish very actively and check and recast bait often). I could see their use if you were drinking with buddies or watching the kiddos and wanted a few lines in the water. Hear people tip they’re shrimp with fishbites to keep it on the hook better and that seems valid. Imho. 2 cents.
I typically pair a piece of fishbite w/shrimp or a real sandflea. I usually fish 4-5 rods so I'll try a different bait setup on each to see what they are favoring for the day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts