Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have enormous respect for those of you who have mastered the art of surf kayaking.

I tried my first surf launch today on Cherry Grove Beach. The wind was blowing in my face about 15 mph, and the surf was coming in from two directions at once. :eek::eek:

I managed to get out without dumping and I paddled around a bit outside the breakers before I decided to head back in. I then made the mistake of trying to ride a wave in. I paddled even with the crest, leaned forward and promptly dug the front of the kayak into the back of the next wave. Needless to say, I completely wiped out.

Planning on trying again when hopefully the surf will be a little calmer.

Evan

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I've eaten it trying to get in more than once. I've found that dangling my legs over the side and using them as rudders really helps. Of course, if possible, hop out of the yak and walk it in, but I know that's not always possible.

Skunk

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
yeah, being sorta a big fat guy that i am, i learned quick not to lean forward...its just disasterous...OH, also make sure the paddle leash isnt wrapped around your leg before you jump out...cuz then when you think you are awesome and did a perfect landing, u flip it urself and look sweet in front of a lot of people on the beach......personal experience :rolleyes:

·
Registered
846 Posts
yeah, being sorta a big fat guy that i am, i learned quick not to lean forward...its just disasterous...OH, also make sure the paddle leash isnt wrapped around your leg before you jump out...cuz then when you think you are awesome and did a perfect landing, u flip it urself and look sweet in front of a lot of people on the beach......personal experience :rolleyes:
ha i am i big dude myself i found that droping the seat all the back and almost laying down help alot and keep the paddle down to make quick steering adjustments

·
Registered
996 Posts
Next imte when you're coming in let a wave break and THEN paddle like the hounds of hell are after you to beat the next wave through the break zone.

If you want to surf waves, pick a yak that's intended for it. A little OK yak board works great, but it's a lousy fishing platform.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The waves up here were killer yesterday, i managed to get out and dump some baits and actually RODE one all the way back in..the wife said i looked cool :cool: the next time i launched i totally got eaten by an enormous swell..flipped the yak and threw me airborne still a great time..check the NC section for my report!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts