Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the stripers are hitting in the Hudson yet? I am concerned with the area North of the Tapanzee Bridge on the Tarrytown side.

NY Yankees forever! :)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Last report I got water temps still in the mid 40's and no action so far

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Oh BTW thanks for the board I plan on using it often. :)

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Wow, I'm glad we have this site because I'm going to TarryTown sometimes this summer and never knew there's a fishing spot there.
So, SandCrab, can you tell me the regs, and where I can fish? I'll be on the NY side (before crossing the bridge)?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TunaFish,

Although I am a born and raised New Yorker, I have not lived there since 1986 when I joined the military. I really can not tell you about the regs. Just feeling out the fishing so I have an excuse to visit my folks who still live up there. ;)

As far as fishing spots, find any railroad tracks along the Hudson, and set up camp!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My favorite striper places are Croton Park (Croton-on-Hudson - Route 9) and Roa Hook (Peekskill - Off Annsvill Circle) train tracks. Bloodworms is the bait of choice.

Put a penny on the train tracks for good luck! ;)

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
So, where are these places from the Saratoga area?
My parents live about 20 minutes west of Saratoga Springs. My mom is into fishing, but doesn't go becuase for some reason my dad and younger brother who is still at home are not real men--thus they don't fish.
I am planning on going to visit them in May. I'd love to take my mom to one of these places and fish the shore.

What is the presentation? Fish finder rig with live herring? Bottom fishing with blood/clam worms? How far do you cast? 7' rod?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Husky,

Just follow the Hudson River south until you get to West Point or the Tapanzee bridge.

I use a high/lo rig loaded with bloodworms and a 2 oz sinker. Make sure that your rod is wedged in the rocks or the first striper will yank it in the drink! They only hit one time....If you get a hit and miss, reel in and re-rig.

I fish right near the railroad tracks so I can feel the trains wizzing by me...

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Isn't the tapanzee bridge right near NJ? I thought you were talking upstate NY.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Upstate is anywhere North of NYC. ;)

This area is 42 miles North on the Hudson River. You should be able to catch stripers farther North too on the Hudson.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

The New Jersey Angler April issue has part two of their Hudson River stripers guide, but almost all the information is geared towards the boating crowd (the article was written by Phil Kozak, who captains the Pocket Rocket in the Kingston Area.) Otherwise the data is the same: bloodworms early in the year, switching over to live herring if available, or cut fresh herring, then plugs or even live eels when the waters warm and the fish move north. Locations he does mention are (from south to north) the Piermont Pier, Tappanzee Bridge Area, Havastraw Bay, Newburg Bay/Bridge, Kingston area, Kingston Lighthouse, Rhine Cliff Bridge, South Bay, Turkey Point, and the Esopus River outflow. You might get some bank fishing info by emailing Phil at [email protected] I'm very interested in the Hudson River fishery, which seems to be on a par with the Chesapeake for giving up quality fish. Maybe we can get a charter together next spring.... unless you guys stumble across a honeyhole, then we'll do an IRI type thing! Finder's fee is a cold case of beer....

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
good link. I like how it says at the end "Be careful not to get caught taking illegal size or quantity fish." It doesn't exactly say not to keep more than one. Just don't get caught! lol

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

I was reading the entry for The Chart House & Riva Point (Weehawken, NJ), and noticed the picture and story of the 42 pound striper caught there. Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the fisherman seems to say he caught the fish on a Friday night, then went back for a couple of hours on SATURDAY so people could admire the fish. The fish in the photo certainly LOOKS like its been dead for a couple of days. Hopefully he had the fish mounted, and didn't just toss it in a dumpster....

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got a phone call from my brother who lives on the Hudson. They are taking a lot of shorties (less than 18") on bloodworms right now. Water is still too cold right now although they caught a lot of large cow bass last month in the Peekskill bay when the season opened.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm very interested in the Hudson River fishery, which seems to be on a par with the Chesapeake for giving up quality fish. Maybe we can get a charter together next spring....
Hello from nyc. As I live 3 blocks from the hudson in manhattan (and fish), I will try to post a few reports. All the fish going up to the spawning grounds from down south have to come thru my neighborhood. :rolleyes: Lately (last week and a half), the size of the fish caught have been better 40"+. Bloods, bunker, and herring. Weather continues to frustrate us though. :mad:

be safe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts