Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rented a boat and drifted in the channels. We landed 13, with three keeper sized fish (22",21",18"-one fish per family). The rest were tagged and released. It will be interesting to see if any tags are returned. The mate on the charter said he's never heard of anyone tagging in the area before.

·
Registered
176 Posts
What is it that causes the flounder bite to be so much better over on the eastern shore in April and May? Does the water warm over there quicker?

Were you using jigs? If so, what were the colors you were using?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yep, you got it. I think just as important is the lack of fishing pressure. someone else just wrote about how they generaly come back to the same areas year after year. I wouldn't want to tell about my favorite little drifts. My hats off to Kimo for tagging. I'm curious as to how to do the same. The shallows, less than 15 feet warms quicker, and stays warm at night. As each species enters the bay they hug the shores for warmth, and I don't think you can beat the eastern shore for flounder.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the flounder fishing is better in April & May 'cause the flounder are migrating and don't have as far to travel. They are in the bay, but in deeper water channels for the most part. Don't worry, as the water warms a bit the bite will pick up

We were just drifting with a squid/minnow sandwich. Usually not my cup o' tea, but I went with a fried who organized the trip as a retirement gift for his Dad. I'm happy to say that his Dad caught the most and the biggest.

Contact the VMRC for information on the tagging program. Sorry, but I don't have the number with me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Were you fishing on the Canyon Lady? My nephew is the mate and his grandfather is the Captain. My nephew reports they are doing well with togs at Number 10 (seven miles off the beach). P. S. He wouldn't tell me about your secret colors and bait!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts