Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spinning and baitcasting, final two....

I have decided to limit my salt water pier spinning reel choices down to:

Okuma Avenger
Penn Fierce II

I have decided to limit my salt water baitcasting reel choices down to:

Penn Squall
Akios 757

Anything really wrong with the choices? Fairly comparable? Would you not go with a particular one? I want level wind and brakes on the Baitcasters. Is a Battle really significantly better than the Fierce?

· Registered
1,344 Posts
I would buy penn over the Okuma. Akios is a nice reel but I wouldn't get a level wind model especially if you're casting a shock leader. Thumbing the line on the spool really isn't that hard. I use penn squall 15s with 16# pro speck on my heavers past 2 years and I have no complaints as of yet.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would buy penn over the Okuma. Akios is a nice reel but I wouldn't get a level wind model especially if you're casting a shock leader. Thumbing the line on the spool really isn't that hard. I use penn squall 15s with 16# pro speck on my heavers past 2 years and I have no complaints as of yet.
I am not that well-versed, why not level wind with a shock leader?

· Registered
1,344 Posts
I am not that well-versed, why not level wind with a shock leader?
The knot might have a hard time passing through it during cast using 50# mono leader causing a big mess. You would get better distance with a non level wind because the line would flow off the spool faster. Less stuff to break . Most magged reels are non level wind. Get a squall 15 with the mag or a used penn 525 mag I think you'll be happy. Using 16 or 17# mono for main line you have around 300 yards capacity depending on brand.

· Registered
2,078 Posts
Easy choice unless you put a Shimano into the equation............Penn

It may not be as smooth initially, but its full metal design will last longer. The only thing good about the Okuma Avenger is that it is the cheapest readily available spinning reel with bait runner feature on the market. Okuma's high end products on the conventional side are proven, and their rods seem to be great for the $, but the lower end reels get very mixed reviews.

For smoothness, I think almost any new Shimano spinning reel will beat that Penn

· Registered
131 Posts
I like the Akios over the Squall and i have fished them both, but i will say the Akios 757 is a rather large reel i love mine but i have rather large hands. You might want to put your hands on one and if the 757 is to big the 656 might be a better fit.

· Registered
630 Posts
I use a Penn 309 or a Penn 280 Delmar conventional for pier fishing. for conventional reel's , what i use for head boat fishing work's for the pier. When casting from a pier i some times use a spinner, All Penn's. Tight lines.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.