Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the field for 6 casts on Weds evening and then again for an all afternoon marathon session on Thurs. Wind was good both days blowing 20 and gusting higher. Threw a combination of standard groundcasts, 3 step groundcasts and flat arc. Had some really nice casts and some nasty blowups... :)

I'm not sure what's going on with my cast but the single step groundcast is outperforming everthing else right now. Casts 2 and 3 are the two longest single step groundcasts that I've ever thrown.

Here is some video, feedback is always welcome. Wish I had the software to do the super slow-mo like Jeremy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFs6npptvCo

Tommy

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Nice work Tommy!!! Sounded awful windy out there. I could download the youtube video and probably be able to put your casts in slowmo, but the quality would be poor. Probably wouldn't be worth it without the raw footage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A few observations!

Hi Tommy:

Nice cast:

I hope you dont mind me sharing my observatins; hope it helps!

Your right foot is moving during the HIT, it a subtle movement, but it’s there; you are losing power!
I think you are taking too BIG a step with you left foot, causing the right foot to drag. Short legs short step.:D

Also:
You are almost following the rod around the turn, (loosing rotation speed and rod compression) ,Try to stay way ahead of the rod.
Turn your upper body to look down field while you are stepping, (before you move your arms), this movement will keep you ahead of the rod, giving you better body rotation, arm speed and rod compression.

Just my 2 cents hope it helps.;)

Wow! Things can get real interesting.

GOD BLESS!
Earl-DC aka Trini-Cast

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Earl.

Very good eye for detail. The wide step just seems to work for me. It helps build rotational power but you are correct about the right foot. I try to land firm on the left and push back to stop but sometimes my "mass" keeps me moving...lol

With my short arms and ... er... larger torso it is harder to leave the arms back for as long as a thinner guy with long arms. On the ground cast i try to leave the arms back until the left foot touches down, sometimes it works, other times I start to come through a little early. It's all about building energy and releasing at the right moment.

I've been working on a few things that are really coming together on the single step groundcast. I'm pleasantly surprised with the results..... :)

Tommy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Suggestion For Video Viewing Slow-MO

Tommy--suggestion for at least viewing your video in slo-mo. I use a free video viewer called VLC which works good for many different video formats and allows for viewing at speeds down to 0.13 of normal. I use it for your downloaded flash videos and it gives reasonable results to see the detailed form used even from a less than high definition flash video. Perhaps you already use something on your own raw video.
Regards

Here is some video, feedback is always welcome. Wish I had the software to do the super slow-mo like Jeremy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFs6npptvCo

Tommy[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Tommy, you said you wanted to put the video in slowmo, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I downloaded your youtube video, converted it in handbrake, added slowmo in Imovie HD, then uploaded it back onto youtube. I think I just realized I could have slowed it down more, but I'm not going to go back and mess with it. I lost some quality, I believe because of my settings in handbrake. I was going to jazz it up a bit, but I didn't want to cut somebody elses video all up, LOL. I just added the slow motion, all though I don't know if it is as slow as you want it.. Anyway, did what I could. Here goes.

Ryan

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have to say I like the pendulum cast, great visual showing the pause before the hit allowing things to come up to speed and connect with the rod, great compression. the single step OTG solid connection and consistant power build up in the rotation. Nicley done

OK down to that hop skip and a jump?????? what is that?? LOL

Man O man the rod is all over the place, looking at the video the rod connects then looses connection then regains and looses again. it looks like you were 25 to 30 percent into the power stroke before the tip picked up the slack. I have to admit I am a fan and totally appreciate what you have accomplished. but that hop skip and a jump seems like a leap to nowhere.

As Always
All the Best
Big Dave

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Dave,

Thanks for the comments. The single step groundcast is working great right now. Had a few good ones today at the castamuck, best at 812 and yesterday had a 819.... :)

The 3 step is a funny animal. It IS NOT pretty but the forward momentum of the steps does add power. I used it to hop, skip and jump to a new U.S. 150 gram record of 826 last april....... :D:D:D

The old standby flat arc pendulum is a great cast but right now, for me, the groundcast is providing better numbers.

Great to see you on the board.

Tommy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.