Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Fishing OBX and my 80lb. Ande (clear mono leader material, brand-new spool) seems stiffer than normal (and has too much memory) and I'm not happy with it. I've used Berkley Big Game and Sea Striker Billfisher in the past but I don't remember whether they're more pliable and easier for tying quality knots.

What's your go-to shock leader brand and why do you like it?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Big game. It's cheap, it works. I don't use anything over 60# for shock. Most the time I use 50# for 8&bait. I have never had a undamaged shock leader fail.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Stuff breaks all the time, that's why they sell more Stuff.

The harder you throw the more stuff you break.

Leader material is stiffer than normal mono line.

BBG 60# is what most folks I fish with use, I am not fishing at the moment but I have several spools of it in the garage.

I found that using cannonball rigs cuts down on the break-offs due to the 100# line getting the abrasion from the sinker slide.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Your title specifies Shock Leader but you're talking about your bite leader..
For Bite leader I use Jinkai 80# or Ande 80# mono, when I can find it in the 1/4 lb spools.
Right now im using Sufix since Billy at Whalebone gave me an almost used up 3 Lb Spool. (Approx 300 yds)

Shock Leader Is Berkley Trilene Big Game 50# since its under $7 at Wally World.
I'll also use Sufix Tritanium 50# or Ande 50#

I'm betting you you don't like the little kinks you get in your bite leader when you cinch them down and tighten the snell and the knot on your swivel

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all-- Yep it's stiffer than normal line but the Ande seems even stiffer than normal leader material. I'm using 80lb. for shock but will consider stepping down to 60 BBG per recommendations... my cannonball rigs are w 100lb. Ande, palomar knot to swivel at the top, another swivel w Rosco scissor snap for the sinker, and a 10-wrap snell on a 10/0 circle. No crimps at the moment-- crimps would be no problem, but the knots are tricky with the stiffer 80. Palomar is okay, but the double overhand for the tunks-to-spider shock connection is dicey given the stiffness of the material. Gotta cinch it really tight with pliers. The 60 BBG will be more pliable and allow for a more robust connection.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Thanks all-- Yep it's stiffer than normal line but the Ande seems even stiffer than normal leader material. I'm using 80lb. for shock but will consider stepping down to 60 BBG per recommendations... my cannonball rigs are w 100lb. Ande, palomar knot to swivel at the top, another swivel w Rosco scissor snap for the sinker, and a 10-wrap snell on a 10/0 circle. No crimps at the moment-- crimps would be no problem, but the knots are tricky with the stiffer 80. Palomar is okay, but the double overhand for the tunks-to-spider shock connection is dicey given the stiffness of the material. Gotta cinch it really tight with pliers. The 60 BBG will be more pliable and allow for a more robust connection.

Thanks guys!
Way Too Much overkill..

50# is sufficient for shock .. casting 8nBait even if you're an above average caster. I cast a hell of a lot harder on a pier than on the beach because of the firm and sure footing the pier provides I haven't snapped 50# yet..On the beach you can not cast near as hard..

Palomar is fine for your swivel and seven to eight wraps on your snell. All my Bite leaders are about "1-"1.5 long Max....There isn't a Drum that can bite through 80# or break it. I use about three extra feet of 80# for my beach cannon ball rigs..so I can drag the fish up on the beach once I get my hands on it...I nail knot to nail knot my shock to my cannon ball rig .... If I Hook a shark I want it to bite through as quickly as possible that's why I use 80#..

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Tapered leaders are the ticket....Varivas, Sakuma, Power Casts, Ultima.....18lb-70lb....small knot at 18lb and strong leader at 70lb.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've heard of people tapering there heavy leaders themselves for tieing knots. If you want your heavy line to perform better you can break it in. Pull it reel hard across or around something back and forth until it gets softer feeling, it will look worn it but the pulling strength is there. I throw 150 braid to 150 mono and I throw like 40-60# mono to 150 mono for sharks and Ray's that trick adds yards and makes it come out the guides cleaner. I also found with the spool not as full its easier releasing the shock leader and adding a few extra wraps on the reel for heavy leader it helps.

I fished this all year, probably thrown this knot around 300 times and been to war many times. The braid actually became unwoven close to it.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Tapered leaders are the ticket....Varivas, Sakuma, Power Casts, Ultima.....18lb-70lb....small knot at 18lb and strong leader at 70lb.
I love love Varivas Leaders and still have about 5 spools of 5 leaders each.. too expensive to blow on sharks and Rays. Thee turn nail to three turn nail and you never notice the knot on the Spool

1 - 12 of 12 Posts