Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking opinions on favorite rigs for various surf/pier fishing situations/fish, and why you like 'em.

Just a relatively new guy collecting some expertise from the veterans!

jedi

·
Registered
904 Posts
Rigs

Hi Jedi, for the most part I go with the hi-low when it is high tide, two before, two after. Then as the ole lady darins, go with a ;ully rig to get just a little more out of the same effort, and the pullye helps a lot with the distance. Don't usually care for the fishfinders, the pully is sort of like a fish finder, and when I fish the pully rig always use circle hooks....just my way...salt shaker:D

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Big Drum,Stripers,Cobia,"whateversbigonbottom": Swivel,100lb mono,snelled hook(usually less than 3"long)I use a snapswivel on the line for the sinker to ride up and down as a fishfinder..You can use a "highlow" rig for this and it will work fine as well.. I just stick with what has always worked for me..
Spainish,Bluefish,Alberts,Kings: 1. Livebait light wire with single and treble haybailed about 4" apart. 2. Gotcha plug I use light wire with albright tied to mono or fireline for kings. For alberts and spainish I use 20lb flouro attached to 14lb fireline with uni to uni..Same rig works well with a stingsilver or zarra spook,for pups,alberts and spainish too.. ;)
Tarpon:For Pamilco sound,80 flouro(little longer than for other big bottom dwellers,usually 8" to 12" in length) and the fish finder is an egg sinker sliding up and down the line,usually no bigger than 3oz,it doesn't have much current on that side of the sound. For livebaiting,Chesapeake Bay,Fla:I use a cork float,80lb flouro,and a BIG circle with a crab is hard to beat..Any live bait such as pinfish or mullet will work too..
Plug fishing,don't have a lot of experience here,but 14lb fireline with 20 flouro leader attached with perfection loop to plug oughtta work..
Plenty of folks,with Plenty of ideas on this board..(that can spell and put thier ideas into a post a [email protected] of a lot better than I on this board)Hang in there, they'll be plenty of info to choose from.... ;)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Dang ,DD !!! you's turning this feeshen thing into a science. Man ,you knows you stuff.......the R

·
Registered
681 Posts
Jedi,

I think that it comes down to where you are fishing and what you are targeting. Not that I've fished that much. But I find on and around the bay (Md.) it's comes down more to bait then rigs. Ocaasionally, there are times when nothing will beat artificials. I think that in the OBX, types of rigs become more important.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Personally, fish finder (Carolina rig), 15 lound test for the main, joined to 30 pound for the shock (about two lenghts of rod and eight to ten spins on the reel), snap swivel for lead, barrel swivel, then about 18 inches of 50 pound to the hook. Use anywhere from 5/0 to 8/0 hooks, and cut fresh bunker.

Can't speak about pier and jetty fishing, cause I am just a baby there, ask anyone (but Hat, to him I am probably still in the womb, and not a baby yet).

Saltshaker, give me some details on the pulley rig, please. Is it good for surf casting, and how does it cast into a nor'easter?

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
It all depends on what you are targeting. For big rock I like to live line a spot or perch on a fish finder. Main line through a sinker slider and a glass bead tied to a 80# black swivel. 3' of 60# leader ties to swivel with a black 80# snap swivel tied to the other end. A 6/0 to 8/0 snelled circle snapped to the swivel. Snapped to the sinker slider just enough weight to hold bottom.

For sea trout I use Shaggy's Carolina Rig with peeler crab with just enough wight to hold bottom.

For croakers, white perch, spot and smaller rock I use a standard Hi/Low rig and experiment with different baits until I find the "bait of the day". Again, just enough weight to hold bottom.

That pretty much covers my baited rigs. Again, with all these rigs I only use enough weight to hold bottom and that means changing weight as the conditions change. Always use circle hooks.

But no matter which rig you use it's important that you fish the tides. I like the out goin but 2 hrs before and after high tide is the most productive time. If it's dead low tide take a nap. You need water movement. Now go catch some fish.

Catman.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Any rig that you tie yourself...

Lots of garbage rigs out there in the stores. Get up to speed in your knots and tie your own. This way you have control over length, strength, and type of quality hardware you want or don't want to use.

Bottom line: Cheap Material=Cheap rigs.
Quality Material=Quality rigs :)

Spend the money and buy quality leader material, swivels, and snaps. The fish of a lifetime may be on your line! ;)

·
Registered
961 Posts
I agree with ya SandCrab...

Being in this hell hole of a country I have not found any pre-assembled rigs. I have had to tie my own. Even though the fishing SUXS here....you never know when the monster is going to swim by. I would rather be prepared with right tackle and catch minnows, than have cheap stuff and lose the grand daddy. Anyway I have to land the big one to stay up on Jason.

Now that rainy season is over maybe I can figure this place out. Went out yesterday and the water level dropped 3.5 meters. I found out the spot I was fishing is shit. No wonder there were no koreans there yesterday....need to find a new spot.

I should be home around Thanksgiving time to do some real fishing. Maybe I'll even work in some time for the wife and kids....

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I also agree with Sandcrab. Tying your own rigs can save money and is usually of better quality when done right. Almost all of my fishing is done with high-low rigs that I tie myself with some type of cut bait. Size of hooks and weight vary on type of species. I also use a live lining rig for using live bait for large trout and rockfish. I pretty much use bucktails with plastic grubs and gotcha plugs but have been using storm lures lately when using artificials. That's pretty much everything.
-Anthony

1 - 12 of 12 Posts