Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any beaches in VA that one could go and catch false albacore? Preferably in the va bch area? Do any of you fish for them regularly, while they are in season?

I have never caught one, but they sure sound fun.

todd

·
Registered
888 Posts
They show up down at sandbridge once in a while usually near the end of summer but they are not something you can really target from the beach not that common. Caught them trolling for spanish using clark spoons near shore couple miles out. Need a fast retrieve and enough line on your reel good luck.....geo

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks geo,

I am somewhat new to salt fishing, doing it since last sept, and i am trying to catch things that are a little more sporty, fiesty, than spot and croakers.

I have been reading through the descriptions of the different fish in the area here and I really prefer casting lures to using live/cut bait. (most of the time, anyway).

I guess I'll try the spanish and blues over at sandbridge.

Todd

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would love to catch a false albacore but love the spanish and blues. Great fighters on light tackle. ( And blues are as mean as a snake)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not impossible to hook one from the beach, but it is not a common occurance. Catching a FA from a pier is a much more likely scenario. When the water starts to cool in the fall, Albert often can be seen chasing bait all around piers. Keep a gotcha plug ready and cast where you think they're going cuz they ain't anywhere near where you last saw em. Then there is a better than average chance that you'll hear your line snap or watch your reel get spooled. But that is exactly why people fish for them. Granpa

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I think I remember an old post where someone was getting them at ft. monroe

·
Registered
20 Posts
My brother hooked one down at Buxton Point (Hatteras) on a spoon from the beach. He lead it perfectly and put the lure right in front of its mouth. Unfortunately, he proceeded to get spooled and lost the fish. In 15 years of fishing he only saw them from the beach once. I think he was just lucky to have put his lure in the right place. That's not exactly something you can plan on.

DC

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I've caught them by accident while fishing the jetty in front of where the Hatteras lighthouse used to be. I thought I was fishing for specks, but what a great surprise to get one of those guys hooked-up on light tackle. Never had any luck catching any from the beach up here though. Oh yeah, I was fishing with Mirrolures, solid chartreuse in color and if my memory serves me correctly it was mid-september.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Caught two off Va Beach pier years back.Used Hopkins No=..... Hopkins thought it was cool enuf to use a pix of the FA"s and me in one of their ads in Salt Water Sportsman(possibly the highlite of my feeshn career)...........the R

·
Registered
239 Posts
VERY cool, Rhondel!
They are too rare in va to target. Every year schools come to the lower banks of Hatteras. In late Sept, early Oct. world class fly-rodders flock down there to have $600 ten-weights destroyed by them. They have much better luck out of boats, spotting birds. I think you have a little better luck on the beach in Ocracoake at that time. There is always Frico pier, in southern Hatteras. You might check their website and do searches for last Oct. Good luck!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear these things are only up to about 10 pounds, why is everyone talking about getting spooled and destroying rods? Are they really that powerful. I have caught real albacore off of monterey in Ca, do they compare to them? Those averaged about 20 pounds and really ripped some drag out of our levelwinds.

Thanks for the great feedback guys.

Todd

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is no ordinary light tackle fish. Tuna are the most streamlined, explosive fish, pound for pound. A 10 pound albie will destroy a rod faster than a 20 pound bluefish. They are 3 times faster, and smarter. They are famous for shooting straight down under the blind spot of a boat, and circling faster than a whirlygig. Major fly-reel manufacturers will test next year's drag systems by giving demos to the old gurus and guides who fly into frisco or OI. Quite a few disigns never were produced because the albies down there burned em up, or proved they weren't smooth enough. If you want to catch one of these things on a heavy rod/reel w/280 yards of 30 pound test, that's one thing. If you go out with the best inshore rod youv'e got, and the smoothest-dragged reel w/20 pound test,You're in for a fight. As the stories go, It gets to be more fun than a barrel of monkeys when a few guys in a boat get hooked up and have to run in circles, tripping over gear, to keep from getting broken off. My father in law came back from florida w/cut fingers (from the line) and scraped knuckles (from the fly-reel handle snapping around and hitting them while trying to grab it). I smile at the idea of all those rich guys running around breaking $900 fly rods.:D

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
My two were 16# & 18 #and I was using 20 #line.Didn't even cross my mind about getting spooled,but a good fight....the R

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would have never thought they were that strong, or that much fun for that matter. thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts