Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! This is my first post here, as I have been a lurker for some time now. I live in Ohio so surf fishing isn't something that I get to do alot. Myself and a few others would like to make the trip to VA later this fall to fish while the stripers are running.

Can anyone tell me when this happens and were are the best places to hit? What other types of fish could we expect to catch while there during this time? What baits do you prefer?

Thanks as always,
LOST

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
If you are wanting Stripers this winter I would recomend going the extra two hours and head to the OBX (NC) since Beach travel is easier if you have a 4X4. We don't have driving on the beach. Our "fall run" is really local fish that have not made their migration runs. The are avaiable in lots of places. The surf season will begin Thanksgiving and run until the water temps push the fish offshore.
Bait their is one answer "fresh Bunker" or live EEL's. Plugs work too (big and castable).
The Bay season begins Oct 4th and runs until Dec 31st. The Ocean season is year round but The run is after Thanksgiving and it all depends on water temps.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you are traveling all the way from Ohio, you might consider either getting a charter out of Lynnhaven inlet, or going to the outer banks for fishing. I don't know if you want to invest in surf fishing outfits if you live in Ohio. Peirs and charters/headboats will keep you in budget. The Va striper season is around may 20(?) to Dec 31. things usually get hopping in late october and continue as the bigger ones come through later in the season. Do a bunch of searches on various boards (I will try to post some more) from oct-dec to see how they came through last year. The only problem with some piers is that they close in november, but a few stay open. If you don't have business to take care of in tidewater, you might consider going to the outer banks of Nc, or doing a circuit. Also-something to check out would be seagull pier, on the Bay Bridge. It is quite awesome to ride across for the first time and see the tip of the eastern shore, then come back to fish the pier. There are plenty of hotels in the outer banks to stay at where you can walk right outside and fish the beach. My favorite is the Tan-a-rama, right next to Avalon pier. Anyway, good luck, have fun.:D
http://tidalfish.com http://avalonpier.com
http://reddrumtackle.com
http://fishmojo.com http://Lynnhavenpier.com
If some of these don't go through, do a search with the titles, they are all worth checking out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

To be quite honest, I don't really care if we catch any stripers!:D Stripers are the bait that I like to use to catch traveling companions!;) Although, being that I have never caught a striper B4 I would like to catch some of them too. I had my heart broken by a shark in FL earlier this month and would really like to land one my next time out. Size is not an issue, just a shark, but as always my only requiremant for fishing, "is to catch something with gills". As far as equiptment goes, I have already got just about everything I need. I would like to try one of those "Crabhawk" contraptions tho. However, digger I don't have a 4x4, but I have been thinking about one of those fancy buckets on wheels. Still tring to figure that one out tho, cause I'm not paying $75+ for a store baught one.

Seems to be that yall sound as if we may have better luck going to the outer banks? The outerbanks is about 2-3 Hours from VA? Maybe we could hit both places. Well thanks you again for the info.

Thanks,
LOST

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Some of my favorite Local striper holes are:Great Kneck passage,Chesapeake Beach,and the ever faithful,Willoby Spit.

I start catchin usually late OCT.Get on the boat in December for the cows in the ocean.

Not much size,largest 1 ,I ever landed on the shore was barely 30 inches.But I pref schoolies over cows any day on the dinner table.

@ Great Kneck and The Spit,you can get away with 6'6 to 7'0 tackle.Make sure you have some really good line.The Jetty @ the Spit has made me cry a many a nite when Lure and fish have gotten away.The Jetty is unforegiving.

@ Chesa.Beach-I would suggest bringing no rod shorter than 8'0.Need to get lure to the blue water.....

So if you are still interested,PM,me when you come down....I will try to put you on some stripers.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Hey LOST, I'm a fellow Buckeye (or at least born there and transplanted by a Marine father). You're already doing the right thing, just keep lurking on this board. Depending on the weather the fishing here usually heats-up as the water temps cool down, usually around September with the passing of the first few cold fronts, the fall fishing really turns on. It's not just Stripers either, everything from 1lb. Spot to 50lb. Drum that spend the summer in the bay come thru this area to get to the Gulf Stream where they spend the winter. Not only that but they're feeding hard to store up fat to last the winter. Just keep an eye on this board and as time gets close to you making a trip just pick your species and look for some tips on how and where.

·
Registered
291 Posts
yea rockhead is right. In october its slower but what i do is fish for speckled trout during the day in lesner. Then when it gets dark grab the longer rod and head for stripers. The best blitz i have ever seen in my life was on columbus day a few years back so they can get there sometimes.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
There is a couple of key items that trigger a fish's instinct that tells it to school together with others of it's kind, feed hard and migrate to it's winter waters. One is the lenght of the day (amount of daylight), but more importantly is the water temps. Every fish has it's own tolerance level as far as what temperature it starts to migrate. Most game fish in this area (Trout, Flounder,Drum,Blues,Spot,Croaker,Cobia,Mackerel,Spades,etc.) start to move when the temps hit around 65*F and usually are gone when it's about 50*F. Striper are a little more tolerant to cold water and even though they start to move about the same time, they really don't turn on until it's under 60*F, then they'll hang out and still feed even when it gets to around 40*F. They do feed in water even colder than that, but just not as often. I was catching them this Jan. & Feb. (C&R) in water that was well under 40*F and past my comfort level but it was fun for short periods of time. So to sum up my rambling, it's not the day of the year that is so important, but rather the temperature of the water. Besides the water temps this year have stayed abnormally cool, so it should be a early start to a (hopefully) great fall run!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I agree completly with the h2o temps, although like clockwork the last three years the big ocean striper have hit the beach at sandbridge between christmas eve and new years day. and I expect them to do it again this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.