Pier and Surf Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
You should be aware that the MM3s are tournament long distance casting reels with highly-specialized, expensive features for strictly that purpose (monomag, one-piece cage, hybrid bearings, etc.). Among them, they have a high retrieve speed (less torque), short handles (less leverage)... less than ideal for fighting a fish. Designed for the field, no benefits for an angler.

If you still like Akios 666, check out the CTM.
Also no clicker

·
Registered
766 Posts
I believe they stopped making it for some reason, which is why I started trying the Momoi.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't see any mention of Avet. I just got one and am looking forward to using it. Not to much $. Specs look great. Loaded with 20# main line to 50# shock leader. Gonna get me a biggun.😁

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The have redone the packaging, should be back on the market soon.
It's available in the larger spools. Is the line that good ? Haven't seen any reviews putting it very high on the mono list as far as mono surf line. And I'm not trying to hijack me own thread .. just curious about the best mono to spool the squall 15 sdcs with for drummin' OBX surf.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's available in the larger spools. Is the line that good ? Haven't seen any reviews putting it very high on the mono list as far as mono surf line. And I'm not trying to hijack me own thread .. just curious about the best mono to spool the squall 15 sdcs with for drummin' OBX surf.
The orange is hard to come by right now, it's probably the most popular mono out right now followed by suffix. The Momoi diamond is really nice but expensive. When you go through 2 or 3 lbs a year it adds up.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Sharks want people to fish with Momoi. Shark's plan is bankrupting DrumPro's if they can.... in one tide if possible.

I spoke with the Head of the Sharks last week and he said he hoped everyone would switch to line that costs $0.045 per yard, makes his job easier.

It is one thing to watch your fresh spool of line evaporate on the first run, it is an added bonus to the Shark if he just took your $3.00 Drum rig and $15.00 of brand new Momoi 16 on top of that.

Like the Head of the Sharks mentioned, it just makes sense for us Sharks.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The Momoi Diamond is the expensive stuff; the Momoi Hi-Catch is about the same price per pound as Prospec and Sufix. 20lb Momoi HC is the same diameter as 16lb Prospec, at .40mm. Jury is still out on it, but seems to work fine. It comes in yellow, so it's not quite as visible as the orange at night, but it ties a good knot and a Fathom 12 holds plenty of it. Will be doing more R&D on it next week.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Just ordered Berkeley Big Game #15 pound in Orange. Almost bought the Momoi Diamond but held back. $$$$$

May end up getting Berkeley Big Game in #20 in Orange for Drum Fishing but got the #15 for long distance Pompano fishing, which I do not do much of but I do like to bomb out 5 ounce Stingsilvers using a pendulum cast so that will get tried out with #15 using a old blank that has been newly pandemic wrapped.

I can see Orange better in dim light than the Sufix and lines like that. Green Tritanium kinda fades on me and I have to strain to see it good.

I have several spools of ProSpec Chrome but have also noticed it went to not available.

I have some kind of new fancy headlight that recharges on a USB. I also bought some more of the little Coin battery ones that Tuna turned me on to. the Coin battery ones are dim enough that I cast with them on.

Where is that Tuna anyway? He can come in and Hijack and talk about getting EZDave.

Someone mentioned Catfish Whisker Line which looks interesting and is in my favorite color...Hi Vis Orange.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Got a few more on the Momoi Hi-Catch this week and I really like it so far. It's more visible under a light at night than I originally thought. The only chafing issues I really observed were when I managed to get tangled in one of the young Pro's sinker slide. Had a good conversation about the Stren Catfish line as well, which is orange, and it seems to be gaining popularity. Also noticed a lot of guys switching back to 20lb and going away from 16-17lb. I'm done for the spring, will see you guys this fall.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts