Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Can’t find one anywhere right now. Perhaps soon. Hope they are at at least as good as the Saltist 20. That’s a tall order if you ask me. Guess I’ll see.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks, Aln. They want $30 for shipping, which is a little steep. I placed an order with Charkbait with free shipping, but I gotta reply that said they must check that they have them in stock. Guess I’ll have wait and see. Thanks again.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks, Aln. They want $30 for shipping, which is a little steep. I placed an order with Charkbait with free shipping, but I gotta reply that said they must check that they have them in stock. Guess I’ll have wait and see. Thanks again.
it was $16 for shipping when I went to check out .. USPS insured .. hhmm

·
Registered
120 Posts
The Squill II looks like a better deal. I don’t need 30lbs of drag, 20lbs is good enough for drum and even cobia for me. A graphite frame doesn’t bother me, either, I have owned several that have held up well with big fish. Including a TLD that’s often surprised me. I might go with the Squall, but I’m wondering if the Fathom will get more casting distance off the beach?

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Squill II looks like a better deal. I don’t need 30lbs of drag, 20lbs is good enough for drum and even cobia for me. A graphite frame doesn’t bother me, either, I have owned several that have held up well with big fish. Including TLD that’s often surprised me. I might go with the Squall, but I’m wondering if the Fathom will get more casting distance off the beach?
Should be the same, they make a Squall 15 DCS model

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The new Squall II is nice if you like a graphite frame, same internals as the Fathom.
I actually looked at the specs and watched a few videos and I actually like some things about the Squall than the Fathom. Hows the clicker .. loud ?? Thanks for the input Joker.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Aln, hey bud. Thanks for the link. i went back to the Roy’s Bait and Tackle site and looked at the Squall II 15dcs. The shipping was $16. They wanted $30 for shipping the Fathom II, so I ordered a the Squall. I can’t thank you enough. I‘m gonna put it on a mystery heaver hanging in my garage. It’s a custom, I think built by Jim at Hatter Jack. My memory is slipping in my old age. It’s got a pistol grip, so I haven’t used it in years. Most likely a great rod, possibly a Wheels Reels or Bateson/Rainshadow. Now I have four heavers with great reels. Look out drum, I’m on a mission. I just hope the Cedar Island ferry is running a full schedule next week. Say a prayer to the Drum Gods, it’s been a while since I caught a citation off the beach.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Aln, hey bud. Thanks for the link..
Anytime bud .. I went over to Cabelas and found the squall Joker posted about for $170 .. so I think I'll prolly get one too .. only question I had was about the loudness of the clicker but I've always loved the Penn clickers so I doubt that will be a problem. I love the Century rods .. only one I have now is the Surf Machine Max and I love it .. rod and reel technology has advanced so much since we started. Catch 'em up partner.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ha Ha. I just went out to the garage and dusted off that mystery rod. It’s a 50/50 split, so I want to say it’s a 1508. I still have a CCP 4oz-8oz and an Ocean Master CPS as backups. I’d love to own a Century, but I think I have enough setups to last me a lifetime. Just don’t quote me on that.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
We been down the same road then. I've got an old Roddy 13' fiberglass .. maybe from the 50's or early 60's and custom bamboo heavers I inherited from my grandfather probably from the 50's. Got an Ocean Master 12' heaver from BPS that actually makes one hell of an anchor for pin rigging .. got a Cast Pro heaver 12 oz .. which is a really good rod at a good price point that I love .. but Century has taken this rod building to another level .. IMO .. and I just bought the squall 15 .. now looking for someone that has the blue 16 prospec line .. must be some good stuff .. or the supply chain is breaking down on multiple levels.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I love the OM for an anchor rod. Never really used it for much else. I do hear the CCP 12oz rods are great for the money. The Hatteras guys seem to like the Century rods better. Maybe some day for me, maybe if I hit the lottery.
I use Sufix 20lbs, but I wouldn’t mind trying the Prospec 16 or 20 of the pier. It’s thin, but I’m not sure how well it holds up in the surf.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Love the CCP heaver but Century is on another level .. imho. Ryan told me you could throw 12 on the Surf Machine Max without a shock leader .. said the rod absorbed the shock. I'll take him at his word but I prefer using a fluro shock leader for a number of reasons. But I might get out in the yard and try a 10 oz without a shocker when I get the squall.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I fished Emerald Isle on the inside of the inlet today. The current was kicking, 8oz not holding. I thought I was in Hatteras. I put that mystery rod on the truck in the dark last night. Got to the beach today and had a better look. It‘s a Wheels Reels Fusion, with a 70/30 split. Don’t know what I was seeing last night other than a few Natty Daddys. I’m gonna put that Squall on the Fusion. I ordered the dcs instead of the sd, and I just hope I made the right choice. I’ve watched Ryan cast several times, and he’s a beast. However, I’d still use a shock leader. Let me know how your test goes, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I got the 15 sdcs too .. better line cap and looked like better placement of the mag knob than the fathom. Not sure I want to put a 12 oz weight on and go all out on the Surf Machine Max with 16 prospec without a shocker .. but if I do I'll get someone to vid it .. but I'd never fish without a fluro shock .. but might drop down to a 30lb shocker if beach fishing .. doubt if I'd go that low off a pier though.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Fathom 12 or Fathom II 12. Just check to make sure the screw that holds the free-spool lever is tight, have to take the sideplate off to check it. Learned that the other day. Tightened it back down and she's good to go. 16lb Chrome, or 20lb Momoi Hi-Catch. Caught a couple on the Momoi, still testing it out. Just be advised this isnt the Diamond line, this is cheaper but so far seems to be working ok.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
. 16lb Chrome, or 20lb Momoi Hi-Catch. Caught a couple on the Momoi, still testing it out. Just be advised this isnt the Diamond line, this is cheaper but so far seems to be working ok.
Where can you find the the 16 prospec chrome ??

21 - 40 of 51 Posts