Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Akios 666 MM3 reel and was curious as to how it compares to the slosh 30 and the seigler/truth/release or whatever it is this year (I have both seigler and truth sm's, and a slosh 30) performance wise in surf use. How do they compare cast wise, drag durability, function and comfort or ease of use. I use both Century Surf Machine and CCP heaver rods. I like both the new seigler and slosh 30 for different reasons. I think the seigler actually cast a bit smoother and has a great feel on the cast but the slosh just has a more solid and user friendly feel to me. Does the Akios give the best of both worlds or does it have it's strengths and weaknesses as well?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Similar drag slipping issues to ABU's 6500 series. It seems like when I was using Joker's 666 that I was constantly having to tighten the star drag to prevent the spool from slipping when reeling in under load.

Cast Great. Smoother than the SLOSH, but twice as expensive. The SLOSH is now thirty year old technology. I have around 6 of them in varying stays of wear. Used them a lot, went to Fathoms.

Seigler is better for Drum Fishing due to the drag system.

But I must say when Joker let me use his 666 on a new blank made for throwing up to 5 ounces from the company that built the Outcast, it was real fun bombing it out there likely in the 200 yard range with 5 ounces.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You should be aware that the MM3s are tournament long distance casting reels with highly-specialized, expensive features for strictly that purpose (monomag, one-piece cage, hybrid bearings, etc.). Among them, they have a high retrieve speed (less torque), short handles (less leverage)... less than ideal for fighting a fish. Designed for the field, no benefits for an angler.

If you still like Akios 666, check out the CTM.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should be aware that the MM3s are tournament long distance casting reels with highly-specialized, expensive features for strictly that purpose (monomag, one-piece cage, hybrid bearings, etc.). Among them, they have a high retrieve speed (less torque), short handles (less leverage)... less than ideal for fighting a fish. Designed for the field, no benefits for an angler.

If you still like Akios 666, check out the CTM.
Appreciate the input Matt. Since I'm an older fella everything I do is more on the practical side so by what you and Garbo said the MM3 is not something I would likely be interested in. For practical beach casting and surf fishing only my favorites so far are still the slosh 30 and the Seigler SM .. and both for the different reasons stated above. Looked at the Fathom (assuming 400) Garbo mentioned but I was less than impressed with the 525 but I still have some older Penns .. 350,9,209 and a bunchy of others I grew up on that have stood the test of time and caught many fish. Was actually thinking about taking my old Penn 350's and having them rebuilt and magged .. without the level wind. I keep thinking if Penn would take that old 350 level wind and upgrade .. beef up, the spool and internals it could be a great beach caster .. I just like the wider spools though. Thanks again for the thoughts ..
aln

·
Registered
818 Posts
You can go with a regular Akios shuttle 666 .. not the mm3 .... great reels ... I've got 3 ...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can go with a regular Akios shuttle 666 .. not the mm3 .... great reels ... I've got 3 ...
Thanks River .. love your rigs !! When I starting looking at the Akios I didn't realize there were 2 different ones .. but I do have a bit of ADD and oldheimers .. then how would you compare the 666 not the MM3 to the Slosh 30 and the Seigler ? And to be honest I've never gotten comfortable with the mags and mostly just use the spool tensioner.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought an Akios 656 from Tommy. Put it in my hands and immediately sent it back. I just didn’t like the drag, the mag or the release. I’m sure those Akios will bomb, but I’m just not a fan of those or the Abus. The one Abu 6500 I still use has a drag that slips. Give me a Daiwa any day of the week. Of course we all have our preferences. Mr. Farmer was exceptional with my refund and is a total pleasure to do business with. I really like the CPS 4oz-8oz for surf fishing Southern North Carolina that he sold me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have Akios , Abus & several slosh 20&30. Akios will send them yander but the drag is definitely lacking but are nice reels. Abus about the same but not🤣 Slosh like many have said is a tank!! But handles like one as well but have caught a many of drum on them & other hard pulling creatures. I Picked up a Blue 20H Saltist a year or so ago & man it’s sweet!!! Cast like a dream & a nice smooth drag. I Have put plenty of pressure on it😁 But that’s just my 2 cent.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Garbo says he loves the Penn Fathom 2, and I respect that much. Might have to pick up a 15 and see for myself.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have had em all at one time or another. I learned conventional casting on a Penn Squidder many many years ago. I upgraded the Squidders to the Penn 970 and 980 mags when they came out, then I went to the ABU’s, then to the Diawa SLSH models, then to the Penn 525’s, back to the Diawa SLSH, and then the Diawa Saltist Series when they came out. I sold all of the ABU’s except two or the original Sports Rockets and one Blue Yonder. I have sold all of the Penn 525’s except one. These reels along with my original squidder, the Penn mags, and my original SLSH are just a collection back in their boxes collecting dust. The Diawa Saltist series was an improvement over the SLSH. The Saltist reels are now backups to the Penn Fathoms. The Fathoms just fit my hands well. They are fast out of the box, cast well, have a decent drag that doesn’t stick like the ABU’s did, and the clicker is reasonably loud if you want to spike a rod. I picked up a couple of the Akios Reels, and as far as I am concerned they are just ABU Clones. I have also tried the Seigler reels, but the location of the gear box and my little finger don’t get along. Hence, the Penn Fathoms are my current go to reels and I use the Diawa Saltists as backups.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thanks River .. love your rigs !! When I starting looking at the Akios I didn't realize there were 2 different ones .. but I do have a bit of ADD and oldheimers .. then how would you compare the 666 not the MM3 to the Slosh 30 and the Seigler ? And to be honest I've never gotten comfortable with the mags and mostly just use the spool tensioner.
I've never used a Slosh 30 or a Seigler .... I used Abu's prior to Akios .... I mainly use the 555 Akios which I've had some for 10 yrs with no issues, the drag is plenty good for me, I use lighter line than most so the Akios drag works fine ... If you want a Akios with more drag .... The make the F-15 which is a brute ... Good Luck

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
In general I've always been a fan of Penn reels .. from the 9's on up thru the 9/0's but the 525 was a disappointment. The Fathom 15 has a decent price point but if a fellow wanted to leave a little line below the shoulders for casting .. yet still having enough line to play with just in case then maybe the 25 might be a better option. You guys have any thoughts on the differences between the 15 and 25 off the beach?

And after reading a bit more the 25 looks like a bit of overkill for beach casting .. but I've never seen .. much less thrown one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I drum fish with Daiwa 20s. The 30s will work, but you get better casting distance with the smaller reel. The Fathom 15 holds about 20:yards of 20lbs mono than a Daiwa 20. That‘s enough for the surf if you ain’t shark fishing. I never like the 525mags, either.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For whatever reason I just seem to prefer the larger reels with less line for casting .. then saw the fathom 25 had centrifugal brakes instead of mags .. but I think mags are over rated but to each their own. I drum with the slsh 30 but nowhere near full of line .. as well as with the truth/seigler sm's and use 17 suffix with them .. still well below the shoulders with them too. I'm just like near e1 else on here .. we buy the latest and greatest stuff because because that's what we do 😁 .. I just don't want to buy something else that at least doesn't some type of advantage over what I already have.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don’t like mags for brakes, either. Never needed them. I fish with 20lbs Sufix, and I will never use 17 test again. Learned that the hard way, especially from the planks.The hard part is getting the bite, and the last thing you want to do is lose yer fish. A 20h will cast better and you‘ll get more OBX drum, IMHO.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don’t like mags for brakes, either. Never needed them. I fish with 20lbs Sufix, and I will never use 17 test again. Learned that the hard way, especially from the planks.The hard part is getting the bite, and the last thing you want to do is lose yer fish. A 20 will cast better and you‘ll get more OBX drum, IMHO.
Yeah .. I use the Seigler with 17lb off the beach .. just cast better .. use 20lb on the slsh30 off the Rodanthe Pier .. because ya need it and distance is a bit less important... but fish are close in too at the right place. Appreciate the input .. we're not far off the same page but e1 has their own preference .. what makes this such a great furom.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thank you, Aln. Say hi to Jimmy next time you fish the Rodanthe Pier. Great guy, and his son Pete is a blessing. Hope to fish with you some day.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
In the little amount of experience that I have, I feel that you can get away with 16 pound ProSpec on the Piers and on the sand. Line will last for multiple fish on the Piers because it seldom touches anything.

On the beach on the other hand you have to change line pretty much after ever session with 16 pound. You are reeling the line in over sand and gravel and shells every time you reel in if you are casting over a drop off. 20 pound Prospec Chrome is like rope but it gets the job done. I broke off around 10 Drum one spring on the beach because I was not respooling after every session.

I have reels with 20 pound and reels with 16 pound. Fathoms I have and most of the fellas I know have the centrifugal brakes. I just put a static mag in a Daiwa SHV20 but have yet to cast it.

Fathom is a huge improvement over 525. I had 5 525's and sold them off. They would cast great but it was a fine line for me anyway to really bombing out a cast and the reel getting squirrelly and blowing up. I put extra mag kits on the 525's and if I bumped the mag adjustment I was doomed.

I have just about convinced myself to order a spool of 12 pound ProSpec Chrome, is it a good idea for Drum Fishing ….No....

I fished a couple days with regular ProSpec 12 the yellow thin line, I went 3 for 7 Drum Hooked up, the rest broke off in one nights fishing at a Secret Spot during a good bite. I think the Chrome is tougher line so I am willing to give it another chance in spots where there are not a lot of others fishing, so I can take my time.

But you can cast a 5 ounce stingsilver 200 yards with a heaver and 12 pound test line so whats not to like

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fathom is a huge improvement over 525. I had 5 525's and sold them off. They would cast great but it was a fine line for me anyway to really bombing out a cast and the reel getting squirrelly and blowing up. I put extra mag kits on the 525's and if I bumped the mag adjustment I was doomed
I guess you use the Fathom II 15 and not the larger 25 from the hill then?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The 25 is a decent casting reel, the RedHead has one, but unless you are trying to get into Sharks the 15 casts longer and holds enough line for most drum fishing purposes. Part of throwing really hard for me is being able to lock my thumb down on the reel spool with no slippage. Easier with a lower profile reel. I certainly could get good distance with the 25 but the 20-30 feet further with the 15 is super important to me.

The 25 is more like an ABU 9000, RedHead DRumPro has one. It casts decent but a 15 will throw a bit further and easier. The crowd I hang around with sort of demands that I use every trick I can in order to compete against other DRumPro's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts