Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance as I saw a thread about this months ago but I can't find it here and I am not sure it was even on this site.

Anyhow, I own an Eagle Cuda 168 - a basic greyscale fish/depth finder for my kayak. In this past post, it went into detail about how you want your preferences setup. I don't remember all the qualifications, but it dealth with things like sensitivity, scroll speed, etc. and discussed how it should be setup on a kayak versus a boat.

Can anyone run me through all this again? I have mine setup, as in it works, but from what I remember, there was some logic behind the scoll speed and sensitivity (and other options) where I thought it was simply personal preference.

I would like to try to get my FF dialed in and setup properly before venturing out this year.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Well I ussually keep my scroll speed as high as it will go so I know I am always getting the freshest information possible. But this means you will have to keep an eye on the screen more as something can come into and out of view faster. As far as the sensitivity I will adjust that acording to what I am trying to see at the time. If I am looking for bait or a thermocline then I will turn it up but if I am just looking for larger fish then I will turn it down a little bit. Here is a neat site that might give some more info.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Get-the-Most-Out-of-Your-Depth-Finder-Part-I&id=1565698

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hannibal,
PM me and I'll send you a file I have somewhere on setting up a unit.
You may already have the info, if so, no need to get in touch, but if not, I do have a word file that gives the ins and outs of setting up a unit, but not specifically for a yak.
I'm still learning mine. So far, its working out well on manual , but I don't recall the sensitivity setting.

nw

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a Cuda 168, and love it. I keep the sensitivity between 50-80 percent, moving it toward the high side for deeper water. The "auto" setting does well by itself; keep in mind that there's other stuff floating around down there besides fish and I really don't need to know about every single object in the water. Scroll speed...max is fine. What you see toward the left side of the screen is what WAS underneath the transducer, unless it's a steady line which means it's holding underneath you. The info. on the right hand side is the most recent. Hope that helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.