Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...for those attendees of the distance casting seminars, what is the limit(s) of distance using the baseballs? Depending upon the style of cast, what distance is normal, above-average and exceptional? Working on OTG and mod-OTG and want to gauge the progress and work still needed.

Using either my Outcast or 1509 with 6500 reel, my average OTG has been from 400' to 425'. The mod-OTG with same equipment is from 390' to 420' range. Haven't work with the Outcast as much but seems to give just a little more distance since it loads much easier than my 1509. Practice, practice, practice and seeing slight improvements most every time.

As I recall, Neil was using mostly a pendulum style and I saw him hit around 450' or just under 500'. If I can get within 50' of him, well, that's good enough for me!

Looking forward to fishing my beloved island very soon and wishing the best to all those affected by the big storm. John.

·
Registered
680 Posts
hey john. if i remember, at the clinic you were hitting at about 300ft. i'd have to say you have improved tremenous. keep it up, throw your arm out and come back and join me at 300-325. keep it up and come to the worlds next month.:rolleyes: :cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I attended the distance casting seminar the second week. I use an Abu Garcia 6500-UC and a 12' ugly stick. I bought a blank years ago and wrapped it myself and it is much better than the production ugly stick. My best casts(OTG) with a sinker were between 400-410 feet, way short of my 500' goal.
About two weeks ago I stopped practicing with a sinker, couldn't get past 450 feet. I bought a couple of baseballs and started over again, reviewing what I learned. Now I'm casting a baseball 360- 375 feet with each cast.(OTG). I'm going to cast with baseballs another week or so before I go back to sinkers. This weekend I had a major breakthrough that took me from the 300 foot range to 375...Patience ,Patience.
My work schedule prohibits me from attending the Longcasters clinics on Saturday Mornings. I have a problem.
When I try the aerialized off the ground cast I always bang the ground when i come around..WZUP.

PS.
Hey Gordon what's happening up in Joisy. I want to come up there and go fishing with you.

Caldwell ...from the clinic

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, Bill.....enjoyed your company at the clinic and I'm sure you're farther out than what you confess!

OK, Seabass, I was also hitting the ground at first attempt on the modified OTG. It's a timing issue but most of the problem comes from the inswing and turn portion of the cast...swing the baseball away (outswing) and then bring it back at 90 degrees for the inswing, turn and lead with the left/front arm held high at shoulder height. The problem of hitting the ground can be due to you dipping the tip of your rod downward as you swing around into the cast. Try and keep the right arm held stationary which will keep the tip held above shoulder level and will allow room for the ball to come around into the arc without hitting the ground.

As I get tired, I will sometimes find myself crouching too much at the start of the cast and then swinging my right arm in a downward motion and will always hit the ground. Then, I straighten my stance more upright and relax, and the cast comes right back to normal. Still working on this cast and toying with the modified pendulum as well. The mod-OTG seems very ideal for my type of fishing; which is the reason I work so hard on casting in the first place! Good luck, John.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Derf it will be as soon as I give it back to him lol.

John what are you gonna do when you cast 200 yds and that drum wants to take another 120yds? :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Derf....

....yes and no on the 1448. Adam took it but thinks he doesn't really need it, so another guy here in Richmond ask for first dibbs on it this time around.

Drop me an email and I'll send a picture of it over to you. Hope all is well and you're still working on the casting! Hope to see ya on the sand before too long. John.:cool:

·
Registered
571 Posts
VA-Apraisr,
Your numbers sound good to me. At the clinic Neil was casting a baseball 450-500 feet with little effort. But, remember we had a head wind both days. For fishing, the cast must be smooth and relaxed. It sounds like you're now in the 600 feet range with a 5oz lead. Concentrate on technique and you'll hit 500 feet with a BB in no time at all.

SeaBass,
I bring my tip down when I pendulum cast which is death to the Aerialized Ground Cast. You need to keep the tip near shoulder height. Just imagine that you are standing in three feet of water at the ocean when you cast.

It would be great to see a tape of how everyone is casting now.

PS: GraveDigger, I have not forgotten you. I'm free after 10/4/2003.

·
Registered
35 Posts
LongRanger,

Is the 2003 Shore Fishing Chanager is on the 4th?

But any how that is the weekend for MS Bike to the Bay and my wife is doing it so I have the kids. The Cub Scouts are also camping that weekend.

Every Sunday for the next 6 or 7 weeks is tied up with field hockey games.

Got to keep piorities straight.

We'll catch up some time soon.

Thanks

Nelson

·
Registered
36 Posts
no need for pics of the rod john :)
i'll take 'sloppy seconds' if it doesn't sell.
headin' to assateague island for the weekend; hope to find a few reds down there. that is if we can get to the va. line .
let me tell you, after throwing a baseball ;8& bait feels like a cinder block on the end of the rod ......
derf

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Derf....

....may be down that way myself if I can reach my buddy from Maryland. Never been down/up there but would sure like to give it a try. Looking for stripers as well as drum. My cell # is 804-216-6288. Earliest I'll be down would be Sunday afternoon. My email is [email protected]. Drop a line and will let you know if that 1448 gets sold.

PS: A big boy like you shouldn't be complaining about 8NBait! It's us small-framed guys that have the struggle.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts