Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 f350 dually 4x4 with a semi conversion. 255/70/22.5s. Just moved to the beach and have little experience with sand. Will the 22.5s help or hurt? Should i air down? Anyone tried this yet? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
929 Posts
On duellys I don't think you air down the rear .otherwise they will rub and cause friction and there goes those tires unless you add spacers.,but again don't think it's needed.

As far as the front. I would air down. If your planning on obx beaches I would let one of those guys chime in .obx sands is like Chuck Norris you might get your ass kicked ..lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, did a little research. The good news is because of the semi wheels i have about a 3 inch space in between my rear wheels. The bad news is i cant air down less than 65 psi (i run 110) or risk damaging the steel belted sidewalls. Dont know if that would be worth the effort since most of you guys run about 20 psi in the sand. IPNURWATER: not going to try obx yet. Moved to wilmington so i was gonna try north end of carolina beach first.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If you do air down to 65# you may have a hard time finding a gas station coin op air compressor with enough power to inflate back to 110. I've ran into that problem with company f450 dump trucks. You're best bet would be to find a tire shop or the likes.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Personally speaking - If you plan on doing a LOT of beach driving, I strongly suggest leaving your
big 350 in your driveway and get a dedicated beach buggy, such as a Jeep or 4Runner.
Once that salt gets into your truck, it will depreciate and deteriorate quite rapidly.
When you start going to the OBX, and you see all the ramps all torn to hell and some virtually unusable,
it is because of the big trucks with big wheels with 65# plus PSI...... (again, just my opinion)
IMHO, a big azz truck on the beach is just a fashion statement and ego booster.

jus my Dos Centavos

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No im not planning to do a LOT of beach driving. Maybe once or twice a month. I thought the extra surface area on the rear tires would help me. Definitely not trying to make a fasion statement. Its just what i have. Buying an extra vehicle is waaaay out of the question. If this is the consensus i guess im going to have to rethink this. Thanks johnny

·
Registered
705 Posts
In Florida - beaches such as Daytona, Jacksonville or New Smyrna have concrete driveways right down to the water.
These beaches have very hard packed sand and is easy to drive most 2WD cars and light pickups.
But, once you go past the hard pack area, any kind of tank-like vehicle with hard tires mulches what hard pack is left
into knee deep loose sand similar to sifted flour.
This is when the lighter 4 wheel/4WD vehicles can air down to 18-20 pounds and drive right over it.
I don't know the physical dynamics of dually wheels in the rear providing more surface area but it seems like
that will only make the narrow front tires dig deeper into the ruts.
All you can do is TRY IT and see how it goes for you. Put a lot of thought into your "get out" equipment.
Shovels, long handle hoe, bottle jacks, rope, chains, lumber= 2x6,2x8,2x12 cut into squares for the jacks as well as
a few longer pieces to drive out of the stuck place.
there are SEVERAL good threads on this forum of this very topic - use the search feature, make your own decisions,
and use your own best judgement. A successful beach user is a responsible beach user.
Just get out there and have fun - but - be a good custodian our natural resources

and, when you go to OBX to get your beach driving permit,
be sure to mention that you have a f350 dually 4x4 with a semi conversion with 255/70/22.5s
Even tho this is the NC/OBX website, it contains good information for ALL beaches that we drive on.
http://www.outerbanks.com/driving-on-the-beach.html
Good Luck !!

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Be very careful aird down or not. I see dually trucks all the time. Typically BAD.....

·
Registered
833 Posts
Like Abumike say, I've seen a lot of em having problems ..... One wheel on a dually runs outside rut ....

·
Registered
705 Posts
Like Mike says, ..... One wheel on a dually runs outside the ruts ....
which degrades the general path. I guess the consensus would be if you are not stuck, you are degrading
the ruts where others may get stuck. Especially up and down hills across the dunes in the more primitive areas.

Even the best Jeep 4x4 can have a bad day !!!
Water Vehicle Tourism Mud Vacation

send us some photos of your maiden voyage out on the sands !!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I fished obx on vac several times yrs ago.
I saw a brand new 4x4 dodge go down like that on the point the first yr I was there. he was aired down but stayed too long on a hot bite and didn't move as the tide came up. I have seen plenty of 2wd vehicles go everywhere they wanted done right. imho you are asking for problems going out there in a duelie just due to wheelbase and wt and even more not being able to air down proper on the backs

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hate to tell you that's not a Jeep. I see more Ford F-250 & F-350 trucks stuck than anything. In fact 80% of the people that drive to fast and tear up the beach are big trucks with big tires and rims. They have a short man complex or something! The fords get stuck because of not airing down enough with that heavy front end. Second are these all wheel drive cars that people believe the salesman that they are 4x4s

·
Registered
114 Posts
Vehicle Transport Mode of transport Water Car
Dually will do fine IF you can air down to 25psi or less and a spacer between the rear wheels. As mentioned, your configuration is just asking for a tow rope assist and/or tow truck off the beach ($300 or more).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts