Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will be in vb on the 9th of aug and would like too find a good catfishing hole and thought you good people would know where I could go any thing would be great will be there for one week would like big cats if there are any thank you for any help

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Not at VB, but....

Dutch Gap Landing in Rich. has a pier at the point , at the hot water discharge creek. With a fair surf rod, you can fish the channel edges, a "Big" Blue Cat is always a good possibility. But you "will" catch catfish.

·
Registered
11 Posts
gmm3,

Sorry can't really help you out with the cat fishing in VA, just happened to see that you are from Ohio as myself. May I ask where bouts?

I live in Brown county.

Best,
LOST

·
Registered
225 Posts
may i ask why catfish?? i mean you are from ohio and are comming to the atlantic ocean. put a chunk of cutbait in the ocean and you never know what you are gonna get. i like to catfish too but i love the ocean better.

btw... if you wanna take the 1.5 hr drive to richmond the james river there is one of the best places in the state for monster blues. there is also a good number of flatheads too. also worth the extra drive would be buggs island. awsome catsish there too. but both of those places are a ways away from va beach. just put out your catfish rig with some cut bait in the ocean and see what bites. who knows what youll get:D

·
Registered
73 Posts
like they said in the james river. at night is the best time to fish for big cats as they come in close to shore then to feed. williamsburgs, colonial national historical parkway when u get to the parkway look for turnins for parking, fish off the little beaches but if u go at night bring a light

good luck

srg205

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you are gonna be in VB and want catfish, head for back bay. The cats arent as big as in the James but neither is the drive. You can also get some nice blue claws.

·
Registered
515 Posts
We weren't fishing for them a couple of weeks ago, but we caught three that were 2 lbs or so each in James River along the Colonial Parkway in Williamsburg at College Creek.

I see folks fishing for them there a lot, but usually I'm just throwing tiny pieces of shrimp trying to catch a few white perch to amuse my son and occasionally we end up with a catfish.

Born in Toledo, OH ... but only there for 2-years ... raised in Alabama, North Carolina and Virginia.

THROW MORE / MOST / SOME / ANY / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
gotta boat

jame s river rappahannock west point chickahominy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info

lost I'm from hamilton ohio and have family in highland and adams co.

love to ocean fish but cats are easy to find and a lot of fun when nothing else is bitting

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are good catfish in Williamsburg in the chickahominy. A place called "The Brickyard". Its off of Route 60 in Toano. You turn beside the toano Fire Dept to get there. There is a tackle shop on the Right before you come to the fire house stop there and they will give you precise directions. Ive caught a stringer of cats there every time. But they don't call it the Brickyard for nothing, bottom is full of bricks so wind in quick.
smokie

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Re: Hey wizard

landlocked said:
Where is the pier in relation to the boat ramp???
If you're facing the river. it's to your right/down river. It's a good little walk, maybe a half mile, so be prepared for that. The plus side is because of this, there is rarely a problem with overcrowding, a lot of times you'll have it all to yourself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts