Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We go down to Emerald Isle every so often during the summer as a family. Not really a fishing family other than myself, although my 7yr old son is coming along fine in that regard. I was wondering if someone could give me a rundown of when certain species show up and are caught along the beaches. If you want to mention that a certain species is found further south sooner, or further north, feel free to do so.

The species I'm thinking of, in order of how much I'd desire to catch 'em, is: pompano, speckled trout, flounder, croaker, red drum, striped bass, and bluefish. I'd love to catch a Spanish from shore, but I haven't come close yet.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Bluefish now, Spanish any day(catching them at Topsail), flounder are moving inside, reds are thick in the marshes and creeks hammering top water with an occasional speck . You can fish a lifetime and you won't get a striper at EI unless you are in the White Oak.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In terms of surf in that area
Pompano soon (some have been already caught), speckled trout November/December mainly, Flounder soon but are few and far between as they are overfished, Croakers soon, red drum April and Oct/November, bluefish NOW, Spanish next week probably.

Sharks/Skates/Rays...all the time.

Fishing in the Summer can be slow because it is between fish migration periods. April/May and October/November are usually the best months from the surf. In the summer time you are better off fishing early in the day, the evenings, and at night.

This holds true for for most of the surf from Cape Fear to Cape Lookout.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Headed down this weekend. Sand fleas and/or finger mullet shown up yet? Also, best place to get shrimp for bait down there?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Finger mullet in general don't get here until around the first of July so this time of year I'm looking for mud minnows. Sand fleas your probably going to have to dig and find.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sand fleas your probably going to have to dig and find.
Sounds daunting, kind of like trying to drink the ocean with a spoon. I had really been hoping to dig some next week but it appears that water temp is against me. Any tips on digging them since they are deep? I realize low tide is the best time, just not much else since I won't have their tell tale V antennae to flag me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds daunting, kind of like trying to drink the ocean with a spoon. I had really been hoping to dig some next week but it appears that water temp is against me. Any tips on digging them since they are deep? I realize low tide is the best time, just not much else since I won't have their tell tale V antennae to flag me.
Haven't fished EI yet this year, but just got back from Kure. Dug sand fleas at low tide in knee deep water. They were all along the beach. Some spots didn't catch any, other spots you did. roll of the dice I guess.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Haven't fished EI yet this year, but just got back from Kure. Dug sand fleas at low tide in knee deep water. They were all along the beach. Some spots didn't catch any, other spots you did. roll of the dice I guess.
You spotted them and dig them with a flea rake?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks, everyone. I have been going thru some of the reports to get a handle. I know some of it vaguely. Surprised that Pomp's and Spanish are (or almost are) here already! I didnt know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm headed there today. Excited this is one of the first trips in a while the moon phase has lined up with my vacation. Going to hit up chasin tails on the way into town. But I still need some bait shrimp. Any seafood markets around I can grab some at on the island?

·
Registered
71 Posts
We're heading down to EI Thursday thru Saturday. What do you think this front coming in will do to the fish? Also, I'm used to fishing Hatteras and know the good winds to fish there. What wind is the best for EI?

·
Registered
57 Posts
The blues were on fire today at the oceana pier. All 10-14 inches. Even saw some pretty nice Spanish coming over the rails. Everything on gotcha lures

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, I gotta get down to the beach. THinking of taking my family for "Mother's Day". ;) (Honey, a relaxing time on the beach....yes, I'll be fishing...yes, the water is warm....er than some places!)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts