Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Quick question for anyone with experience fishing yaking baits in NC especially EI area. For the past two summer trips (annual week vaca) I have had the same problem when I get a pick up and a good run. The rod bends and the leader rubs off and breaks. It has only been a problem the past two trips (same house location) and we are due to return this August same spot. Location is about a mile north of Bogue Fishing Pier. I am interested if anyone else has had this issue in EI area. I can only guess its a sharp point, oyster beds, rocks, wreck in that specific location, i dont know. Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated. tight lines! Andrew.

I am running 80lb braid with a top shot of bull buster mono.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sounds like a ledge issue or sharks grabbing your line and biting you off. Drop shorter to stay on your mono. Do you catch a lot of small sharks there because if so they will likely be biting you off also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
40 thanks for the suggestions. Ive been fishing this location for about 8-10 years now. Yes, we have landed a lot of 3-4' sharks Atlantic Sharpnose & Black tips. I will try dropping little shorter this year. Though I always get excited when I catch a good bait and think deeper drop will equal bigger catch, lol.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
What size leader? A big shark will whip through thin stuff in no time. If you're serious about targeting sharks, which you should be if you're yakking, go to some 200-400 after your wire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My rig is close to the pic above. Spool up with 80lb braid to top shot 100# mono then a 6' hand line (heavy plastic material) followed by a DD extreme-tackle hand made leader-(heavy mono, spider wieght, 16/0 circle hook). The past few breaks seem to show on either on braid on mono not to the leader. I asked a worker at bass pro last year he said to inspect the eyes of my rods for a crack or split that could be causing it. I did everything looks good plus I always have a lot of line to reel in after it breaks. Thanks for the reply. I also added a third setup last year just for casting. I talked to some guys setting up in the evening that say they had success just casting filet-ed blues. So maybe shorter sets is the ticket.

200-400 after your wire? are you referring to the "hand line" yea I think following my leader I use a black heavy plastic which I think is even rated heavier than 400#. But that gives me an idea maybe Ill try to make it twice as long and see if it helps. thanks again.
/

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Haven't heard of hand line but I'd imagine it is what I know as a rub leader...to stop shark skin/tail from fraying the line until it breaks you off. Most rigs have the hook on heavy mono/wire, swivel, rub leader to your topshot or to your main line. The rub leader is what takes the abuse to stop your thinner main line from fraying. Since you don't have to cast, you can use very heavy mono.

So it's the topshot and braid that's breaking? How long is the topshot exactly? When was the last time you bought the mono on your topshot? Could it be dry rotted from sitting in a garage? If it's good, then your leader is too short and it's rubbing against sharks body/tail and breaking you off, or it's running back and forth over rough shelly bottom and just breaking over time. I guess another option could be you're not replacing leaders often enough and they're failing after multiple fish.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Lengthen your "hand line" to 10 - 12 feet and attach it to the main line with a swivel. Connect a float (empty jug) to the swivel using light mono. This will hold your line up off the shells and reduce abrasion on the main line.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Smooth & Gorge thank you for responses. Yes by Hand line I mean the plastic coded cable or on old site tx-landbased site I learned on they would use weed eater line. I think I usually run about ten feet before my leader. I will continue to research the "float technique". thank you!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Braid doesn't hold up to abrasion damage. I'd go mono all the way... and single-strand wire. My set-up is 16/0 circle hook, 4' of 200# wire (for protecting against teeth), 8' of 170# mono (to help with tail/body wrapping abrasions), 450 yards of 60# mono.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree with gorge, make the weedeater line 20' or more and see how deep the water is where you are dropping it. You could be overshooting a ledge and missing the hotspot causing your thinner line resting on the lip of the ledge

1 - 13 of 13 Posts