Pier and Surf Forum banner

Emerald Isle Blues

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  delbob 
#1 ·
Will be at Emerald isle in a few weeks, any advice on best ways and places to hook a few blues. any help is appreciated. Thanks Ben

#2 ·
bg33: I've fished the other end of the island towards Fort Macon and had success about 200yds east of the Triple S pier. A couple of weeks ago there was a spot where the outer bar came back to the beach closing off the slough. Blues and Spanish were driving bait into the end of the slough. I had blues and spanish on Silver Stingsilvers and White Bucktail. We haven't had any storms or strong northerly winds so the structure should still be there. You can park for free at the Triple S and walk along the beach.

I trolled close to the same shore today and had Blues to 2lbs on Hopkins spoons, so they're still there.

Good luck . . .

#3 ·
Ben - I usually fish about 2 miles east of Bogue Inlet pier at the 6700 block. Caught an 8 3/4 lb. blue on a 2 1/2 oz. Hopkins NO=EQ in early May and smaller ones on a pink and white Stingsilver. I've had the most luck with the Hopkins, and a few on the frozen cut mullet sold by all the bait shops. I would lay out one rod and bottom fish with cut mullet and throw spoons with a light spinning reel. Small gold Kastmasters are popular as well, but I've hadn't had much luck with them. Good luck!

#5 ·
No, parking is a problem all along there. Wasn't suggesting you fish right there, in fact, recommend you fish closer to the Bogue Inlet Pier which has escaped the beach nourishment (too many shells). You can park at the pier for a couple of dollars and walk east a couple hundred of yds and pick out a spot. The beach is pretty much the same for a mile or so - not sure one spot is any better than the next along there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.