Pier and Surf Forum banner

embarrassing fishing stories

4K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Hat80 
#1 ·
The Boards seem kinda quiet today so I was wondering if anyone had any embarrassing stories to tell. I haven't really had any bad ones. I guess my worst one was when I was fishing at the Town Creek Marina fishing pier, I was measuring a crab with a measuring tape that was connected to my keys. There was a pocketknife that had a key chain that held everything together. The crab decided to grab the pocketknife with it's claw and opened up the key chain. I heard something fall in the water and saw my apt. key laying on the plank. I only had two keys on that key chain. The other was my car key. Luckily my sister was able to drive down to bring me my spare but I felt so stupid being so careless. I also remember a story involving a flying rod, but I'll let that person tell that story if he chooses to.

#2 ·
Flying Rod!??

Ummm SandFlea switched servers so my memory banks were dumped. Don't seem to remember that ever happening:p :cool:

#3 ·
Up until now only Mom saw this.

Few yrs ago I took mom on our annual Mothers day fishing trip(th one she always out fishes me on) and I had just gotten my first heaver. Well I'm warming up,few short cast to get th feel for it. Then I decide to let it rip. I let th weight swing back and then really rip it. Well th only thing that ripped was my shoulder. I hooked my folding chair on th back cast and needless to say no heaver I own can cast 5 pounds of weight. :eek: Mom couldn't help herself an was rolling on th ground laughing with tears rolling down her face. After I got over th embarrasment I started laughing to. But mom outfished me that day cuz I couldn't cast anymore after that. ;)

#4 ·
That is kind of what happened to me. I was fishing off the rocks at PAX NAS and had poles around me in the water. Well I reared back to get a monster cast out and my hook grabbed on to my pole behind me so when I launched forward it picked up the pole and smacked me in the back of my head and shoulders. If it didn't hit me I am sure it would have gone out at least 100ft because it sure did hit me hard. I looked around to see Anthony shaking his head saying "I saw that"! My shoulder and back were sore for two days but pride was bruised a lot more. But now that we are diming people out I think Hat80 has a funny story to tell you guys about last weekend at AI and hell even last night at the Narrows:eek: :D

#5 ·
Mine involved the snag monster at SPSP

I remember tying the knot that you use to join two line together. I was reeling in and it felt like I'd hooked "the fish". I reared back on him and felt him pull. Well I put 350lbs of man on em......

I almost knocked myself unconcious when that knot gave way. I smacked myself in the forehead so hard I was staggered. My 11 year old son looked at me and said "that must have hurt. Are you alright dad?".

We still laugh about it............:D

#6 ·
I was bank fishing for white bass near a tributary to Fontana Lake. I caught a couple, but I could see that the other side of the lake was the place to be. I walked upstream a ways and began to cross the swift river. It was swift and deep. When I had made it about 2/3 across, I lost my balance and jammed my rod into the bottom, breaking it in half.

Grrrrrr.......

I saw a great one in Montana. I was fly fishing on the Clark Fork. A local resident had stopped during a work break to make a few casts. It was too windy for me, so I switched to a spinning outfit. As he cast forward, a great blast of wind carried the line against his head. He hooked his lower ear lobe, giving himself a wooly bugger ear ring. The barb was in and unmovable. What did he do? He clipped the line and tied on another fly. (Montana fishermen take fly fishing very seriously)

Oh yes. Next day he went to the doctor to have it surgically removed.

#8 ·
Last fall while fishing OC Inlet with FLF on incoming tide. there were boats drifting back and forth then some AZZ decided to come in rather fast about 50 feet from the rocks. I saw him coming but could not react quick enough to remove 3 pole from the water. Needless to say he caught 2 of my lines on his prop and he was spooling all my spyder wire #30. I knew if I didnt get the line cut it would probally screw up my reels. I got out my leatherman and cut the lines, but also sliced my finger pretty bad. I was bleeding pretty bad so I left FLF and went to the Urgent care center in OC. They put 5 stiches in my finger and I returned to the inlet in about 45 minutes. Now my finger is all bandaged up and I have a rubber glove in my injuried hand. I went to my back up poles and first cast I lose my grip (due to injury) and the cast goes astray...smack 6 oz lands in someones boat. Oops..

Boaters gave us a little space after that. Just glad this was the last day of one of our 3 day trips.

#11 ·
coffee shoe

took our boat out one time and my friend had a steaming hot giant cup of coffee, you know the huge insulated ones you buy at the gas station,

well, the lid was not tight on the coffee and next thing you know, POW coffee shoe!!!

my foot came out of the shoe off with the sock and into the lake in one hop......

#13 · (Edited)
Kure Beach, NC Comedy

All these stories have me cracking up!
Well here goes, It was 1989 and I was assigned a project in Boiling Springs, North Carolina so I figure what the heck lets stay in either wrightsville beach ,carolina or kure. It was in october and the guys wanted to see me surf fish, it was a saturday morning and of course all of us were partaking of Mr. Budweiser and Mr. grand dad allnight. And I was trying the lets keep drinking cure for the hangover. I had brought a 10 footer with me put on some cutbait and spiked it in the sand. 5 of us were just sitting there consuming beverages when the one helper who never has been fishing in his life would freak out every time the rod tip would bounce. I figured what the hell I told him after the next bait check and recast he could take over the rod and that if he saw a hit to pull in hard and set the hook! well next thing you know he jumps up and yanks the rod like a mad man. Damn he's got a big one, I tell him to take his time and release a little drag, at this time a crowd is starting to gather ,as he reels in we see his fish come through the breakers it was a damn seagull !!!!!
Everybody just bursts out laughing, he gets pissed at the crowd laughing and yanks on the rod in disgust , at that moment the hook came out somehow and every body hits the sand ,THE DANG PYRAMID HIT HIM SQUARE IN THE HEAD AND KNOCKED HIM OUT COLD. We took him to the hospital he had a concussion, and a big fred flintstone lump between his eyes. Oh well after that he never went on the beach fishing with me again!!!!!!!!!!!!

#14 ·
Speaking of birds

Last summer while fishing Hatteras it was a a very sunny day an th water was very clear. Apparently too clear. Th commerants(sp) were diving on bait right outside where I casted. Well all of a sudden my rod starts bending an bucking all over th place. I grab th rod an start reeling only to see a bird coming in. He had dove down an grabbed my bait an th circle hook worked an hooked em in th corner of his mouth. ;) So now I have a p@ssed off bird on th beach. Its just a bird so I grab th leader in one hand an try ta grab th hook with th other.Well this just a bird bites th chit outta my finger an cut me.:eek: Now I'm geting p@ssed! Well a local I know who had been watchng this grabed my bait towel and walks over and puts it over th birds head. Bird calms down an he pulls th hook out.Pull th towel off an bird looks at me squaks a "idiot" an flies off. Like I always say,I learn something new everytime I go fishing. :rolleyes:

#15 · (Edited)
I don't know about embarrasing,but unusual to say the least.. I was "planker fishing" about 2 wks ago. A friend of mine cast. He rares back and really goes into the "power stroke",and zzzzzzzzzzzig pow!! The sinker and bait go into orbit,but the line isn't attached.. :rolleyes: My friend wipes the egg off his face,sits on the bench and rigs up another.. We all continue to fish for about another hr.. Well,another friend's reel starts screaming!! He jumps up,sets the hook and starts fighting this fish. "It's a drum!" we all said as it came boiling at the top of the water.. "There's a problem here"is what my friend with the drum on said. The drum wasn't on HIS HOOK?? It was on another rig and had ran into his line,got tangled into his shockknot..:eek: Well we managed somehow to get the fish to the net put him on the deck,threw a tag in him and let him go.. Low and behold it was the rig my other bud had broken off an hr or so before.. I guess he was a "drumcatcher by proxy"???? :D

#16 ·
I do not know about embarrassing but it was funny as heck
I was down at the NB pier watching people fish and on the right corner a few locals were having a party. They were drinking and whooping it up. One man was so tanked that he would get a hit on his line and catch it as it was sliding down the side. He caught his fish tho. He got up to cast and when he cast he would stand back and run a couple steps before release. He tried this one time and got too close to the railing and guess what. Lucky the water was three or four feet deep and they fished him out. The beach patrol called the cops and they dragged the guy off. Supposed hewas told not to come back.
All I know when he started the cast and went off the railing was funny. Once we found out he was not hurt then everyone laughed about it.

#17 ·
I've embarassed myself so many times that I can't remember them all. Just this weekend I fell over in the surf and got completely dunked.

You know, every time I see these threads going it forces me to work a little more on the book :D

I think I'll stick with the following. This happened several years ago. I lifted it from an old post:
------------------------
You know, I'm going to lose all my credibility around here if I tell this story, but what the heck...you guys will get a laugh out of it.

Last Friday night, I had about the worst night of fishing I can remember. I was taking two friends fishing, one of whom had never fished salt water and the other who had only done it a few times. We went to Kent Narrows, my favorite striper hole here in Maryland. When we arrived, we walked on the steep concrete embankment to the outside of the small bridge so we could get away from other fishermen (my friends don't cast too well). Well, five minutes in, I felt something pop loose from my belt and splash in the water. My cell phone had fallen off my waist.

The water was clear and I could see it in about two feet of water. But the wall was too steep to just lean over and grab it, so my friends held my ankles while I leaned down the wall and reached in and fished the damn thing out. I got my fingers around it and realized it was actually ringing underwater!

Frustrated, I told my friends we were going to the other side so we could get some space. Now keep in mind I've walked this wall a hundred times--but that night I had a curse placed on me. I hit a loose patch of gravel and went tumbling down the wall, busting my arm and nearly ending up in the drink in the process. At this point, I was really starting to get mad.

Once we got to the other side, I was half ready to go. Then it hit--the cheeseburger that I had eaten at McDonald's a few minutes earlier had tasted funny, and I was feeling really queasy. At that moment, I was only able to walk a few steps away from my friends and spew like Linda Blair in The Exorcist. At that point, I barked at my friends, "Get in the car! We're leaving." Then I said a few other things that I won't repeat on this board.

You know, they say a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work. For the first time in my life, I think that's a load of bull.

#18 ·
Hey Flea
Remember the baby buggy used as a fishing cart>:D
Had to get in a dig on our buddy..I have not heard from him in a while.

#19 ·
Hey John,

I've been trying to get that pic posted for almost a year now. I think the owner of that buggy and I know who it is, pays the flea $50 a month or something like that. If it dosn't show up soon I'll talk to our buddy Andy about it and see if he has a copy. :eek:...Tightlines

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.