Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, is this the real name or is it the Cajun Croaker color of Saltwater Assassins that the flounder seem to like this year? After two Walmarts and Chesapeake Bait & Tackle I'm really wondering. At the bait shop the guy looked it up in the catalog and there was no listing for electric croaker. I tried the Cajun Croaker and all I caught was grass. Of course when you rig it with a live minnow trailing a foot behind maybe it's not fair to assume it didn't work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's Cajun croaker, I don't know where Jake got "electric croaker" from. Also, I don't know about trailing a live minnow--I suppose it could work, but we typically fish it alone on a jighead (chartreuse), although Jake does use a bit of shrimp on the protruding hook to add a touch of flavor.

A tip for staying out of the grass, use as light a jighead as possible. Won't help if the water is full of grass wrapping your line, but if you're getting grass from the bottom a light head will not bury itself so much.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trailing a live minnow on a seperate leader from the jig was a tip I had read from a guy in Florida. I tried it since I wasn't sure that I had the right color assassin. I did catch flounder, but they were all on the minnow.

As for jig weight, you know the Spit, how do you compensate for all the current and grass? The lighter jig makes sense for the grass, but what about the current. Sometimes I mostly fish the gut out of the current.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Saturday I had to get my cell phone reprogrammed and spent the hour at Boatersworld. Never found anything like cajun, croaker or electric. Do you need connections to find these colors.

·
Registered
515 Posts
That's my bad on that. I had Electric Chicken on my mind, but you're right it's Cajun Croaker ... and the Wal-Marts I've been in during the past week didn't have any.

So I bought the next closest thing which was ... now I'm gonna screw this up too ... Opening Night (that's the color).

The Sports Authority had some Cajun Croaker, but I'm not down that way when they're open.

Sorry for the screw-up. Oh, and use the lightest head you can use and still get on the bottom.

I carry a lot of 1/8th oz heads to use in shallow grassy water.

THROW MORE / SOME / ANY / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jake Ace, did you get to try out those Opening Nights? I know you said you were going out last Saturday morning, but I hadn't seen any report. Since I've learned a whole bunch from your reports I keep an eye out for them. Figured you either didn't get to go or didn't want to discuss the odor of a skunk! :)

Have you ever fished those jetties at that park down near Harrison's Pier? I saw them when I was cruising for stripers last winter and wondered if they were worth a try or if you could even fish there.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have done well with the opening nights on a red jig head at Ft. Monroe Pier and on a boat around the HRBT. Lots of undersized flounder and a few keepers, as well as stripers and trout by the bridge.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The flounder I caught at Rudee yesterday were on an electric chicken and an opening night with 1/4 oz chartreuse head.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I tried out 2 new colors of bass assassins last night at NOB. They were texas red and silver salt and pepper with a green tail. The silver salt and pepper produced 3 throw back flounder and one blue. The texas red managed to get me 2 blues.

Here they are

·
Registered
515 Posts
I used those "Opening Night" Saltwater Assassins this AM (9a - 12p) on the Willoughby Jetties and tagged 14 Flounder (11" to 14") and one 19" Redfish.

I still didn't have any Cajun Croaker, but I did stop by Sports Authority on my way home and buy a couple bags of that.

Also, I used a 1/4 oz chartreuse lead head. You know I threw some cut-bluefish strips on another line, and didn't get one, but I left them biting on the jigs.

On the sad side, I used one of those 50 lb ONION SACKS that washes up on the beach periodically to pick up about 40 pounds of bottles, cans and assorted crap left on the beach by folks from the previous few days.

If they won't pick it up, make sure you do, or eventually they'll close us down.

Bluebird, yes, those jetties and all the jetties along there are a good spot for a wide variety of fishes.

And one final thing, Bluebird, the only stink on me when I'm fishing is when I forget to take the shrimp, or cut bait, out of my pockets when I get home, and my shorts sit in the dirty clothes hamper for a week.

Happens several times a year. D-oh.

THROW MORE / SOME / ANY / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
[ :rolleyes: :confused: :eek: ! for gods sake i hope your joking :eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can assure you he's not, and I've done it as well. Such an occurence lends a Bundy-like quality to a marriage. :D

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
id have to agree 100% :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jake Ace and Kimoslobby, I appreciate your efforts to clean the beach while fishing. I try to do the same while I'm there also. I wish our efforts could have more impact on keeping pollution out of the bay complex.

I can just imagine what would happen in my household if I left bait in my pockets. I get in enough trouble for having frozen bait in the garage freezer. I really got it one time for having some eels frozen. :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts