Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw the Fish people out on the James yesterday doing the electro fishing from the boat thing. An awesome thing to watch. I know where they whole up know:D Saw many, many schoolie size stripes come up, a few mid 20's and a couple of cows. Doesn't look to good for getting that trophy. Chased 'em back to Ann Carrows and pestered them a little about fish numbers. They said stripers are staying about constant over the last five years, the hickories have been up, Americans up and down. Told 'em I'd stop pestering for a look in thier cooler, which they obliged. Large cooler, FULL of rock. Sorry, didn't have the camera with me, I wasn't fishing.They said they were collecting samples for the DEQ.
I forget to ask to check thier licenses:)
Later, went and threw jig and lures, one 2-3# blue on a jig. Then while waiting in the rain for Charlotte to come get me, I went up on the bridge, snagged a small perch that someone had left, stuck it on a fish finder and bamoo, a 35" cat. din't have a pier net with me so it was line clipping time.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
When I was in high school, one of the biology classes I took did a field trip each year to the locks at Meldahl Dam on the Ohio River. They temporarily shut down the upper lock and baited the water with a fish feed type stuff. They would then close the lower lock and commenced to electro-fishing. You should have seen some of the fish that came up out of there. HUGE catfish and carp, stripers, hybrids, all sorts of bass and panfish, shad, paddlefish (really cool fish) and various other critters. We got to help by netting the fish, measuring them, filling out a little tag that was run through the mouth/gills with the measurements, and they would later take them away for tissue samples, etc. Definitely a cool field trip.
Congrats on Mr Whiskers. Hopefully I'll be chasing him at some point this weekend. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.