I have fished with eels from the rt 50 bridge with some success. The rigs in the other articles are on the money. I have tried to use eels in the chesapeake bay but with no success. Hope this helps.
Eels are for people in boats! That is just my opinion but they are a lot easier for people to use in boats. Of course I am a little jaded by my opinion because I have caught diddly squat off of eels the many times I have used them. I know they work but I just haven't had any luck
How much does a 9" Slug-go weigh? Can they be cast on a conventional (8'6" / Abu 6500) outfit that likes at least 3/4 oz? I've experimented with some rubber eels on jigheads. While the eels look very life like, I still don't like the nose-diving action the jighead gives them, especially not in shallower water.
Hey everyone, eels are good from the shore. Just go to oregon inlet around thanksgiving, you'll find probally 7out of 10 guys using eels. why, because the stripers love them. here's a couple of tips I learned.
1) there is a difference between a surffishermans eel and a boaters. For the surf you don't want them any longer than 10 inches. them big ones are hard to cast. Tell them at your favorite tackle shop you are fishing from the beach and you want the small ones.
2) you need some current, like inlets, points etc.
3) Set your sand spike good!!!!
4) For the rig, I like to start with 50lb yozuri clear for the shocker. Use the standard fishfinder, you know bead, 100lb swivel, duolock snap. I use 30lb flourocarbon about 8", tied to a 3/0 to 5/0 owner circle hook.
5) Keep eels on ice (not in ice, on ice)
in a bag or bucket sittting on the ice.
grab eel with rag insert hook up about 2" from the end of the tail. This will help to keep the eel from tangling up your line and this will happen sometimes. This will keep him trying to swim away, and they stay alive good.
set your drag for a good hookset.
Good luck and tight lines
this works for me
Used an eel at the tank last Sat. Didn't catch a striper but missed a hit! Probably a blue..reeled in the eel was bit in half..fished hooked thru tail...4 oz egg sinker...100# swivel....18" 50 # Ande leader...4/0 Eagle Claw Octupus hook..eels are great to take a long..even if you don't catch anything..will keep a curious 6 yr. old occupied from time to time.
A forum community dedicated to fishing and boat owners and enthusiasts along the East Coast and Gulf area. Come join the discussion about piers, safety, gear, tackle, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!