Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never fished with eels from shore or pier can anyone tell be the best way to fish with them and I do have a bait feeder type reel has anyone tried fishing eels live for shore or pier?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have fished with eels from the rt 50 bridge with some success. The rigs in the other articles are on the money. I have tried to use eels in the chesapeake bay but with no success. Hope this helps.
-Anthony

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Eels are for people in boats! That is just my opinion but they are a lot easier for people to use in boats. Of course I am a little jaded by my opinion because I have caught diddly squat off of eels the many times I have used them. I know they work but I just haven't had any luck:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had great luck with eels off of a boat but never tried fishing with them from the shore and was wonder if you can fish with them using the bait feeder feature on my reel.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
A good alternative to eels...

I have had pretty good success with 9" Slugo's. Rig them with a 8/0 O'Shaughnessy hook. The darker colors work great for stripers at night. ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sandcrab,

How much does a 9" Slug-go weigh? Can they be cast on a conventional (8'6" / Abu 6500) outfit that likes at least 3/4 oz? I've experimented with some rubber eels on jigheads. While the eels look very life like, I still don't like the nose-diving action the jighead gives them, especially not in shallower water.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey everyone, eels are good from the shore. Just go to oregon inlet around thanksgiving, you'll find probally 7out of 10 guys using eels. why, because the stripers love them. here's a couple of tips I learned.

1) there is a difference between a surffishermans eel and a boaters. For the surf you don't want them any longer than 10 inches. them big ones are hard to cast. Tell them at your favorite tackle shop you are fishing from the beach and you want the small ones.

2) you need some current, like inlets, points etc.

3) Set your sand spike good!!!!

4) For the rig, I like to start with 50lb yozuri clear for the shocker. Use the standard fishfinder, you know bead, 100lb swivel, duolock snap. I use 30lb flourocarbon about 8", tied to a 3/0 to 5/0 owner circle hook.

5) Keep eels on ice (not in ice, on ice)
in a bag or bucket sittting on the ice.
grab eel with rag insert hook up about 2" from the end of the tail. This will help to keep the eel from tangling up your line and this will happen sometimes. This will keep him trying to swim away, and they stay alive good.
set your drag for a good hookset.

Good luck and tight lines
this works for me
Surffisher

·
Registered
472 Posts
Eels are the bait of choice from the surf, in the New England States.

When I lived on Martha's Vineyard, the "Natives" all fished the beach with 1 rod rigged with a 9" to 12" eel on a "Carolina" rig, in a sand spike, and cast stick baits with the other rod.

And they do get their share of "Cows" that way.

To keep eels alive, and transport them easily, any plastic bucket or container with a snap on lid, will make a good "Eel Can."

The trick is to punch"slots" not "holes" in the lid. Carry the can in the normal fashion, when you're transporting the eels.

When you get to the beach, turn the can upside down, so that the slime drains out thru the slots.

If you punch round holes, the Elvers (baby eels) will try to get out thru them, and will get stuck, and probably die.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Lars - Check your PM's.

I have included directions from another site on how to rig them up for efficient casting.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Give em' a shot...

They would probably work at IRI if you put them on a three way swivel with a long (5' or more) leader and drifted them in the current - preferably from a boat.

I have used them with an in-line sinker.

Casting them in the surf or jetty at night (without any weight attached) is preferred.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Eels

Used an eel at the tank last Sat. Didn't catch a striper but missed a hit! Probably a blue..reeled in the eel was bit in half..fished hooked thru tail...4 oz egg sinker...100# swivel....18" 50 # Ande leader...4/0 Eagle Claw Octupus hook..eels are great to take a long..even if you don't catch anything..will keep a curious 6 yr. old occupied from time to time.:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts