Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about puttin' an eel on a bobber... but never done it... (hate handling eels.... ya i'm a wuss) what size bobber should i use and how much of a drop should there be??

thinkin' about headin' to seagull tonight...

·
Registered
192 Posts
if your bobber and eel rig dosent work for you try tying a weight4 to 8 onces directly to your line bank sinker,pyramid dosent matter.cast your line with the weight only,let sink to the bottom,tighten your line up,now take a snapswivel and tie a leader of your choice(40lb test works great)to the snapswivel,about a foot and half long,then tie a circle hook to the other end,use a rag when handeling eels makes for a easeier time,hook em either through the lips, eyes or tail,if you keep the eels in a bag of ice they become more dorment and wont freak out on you,deffenently something you want to do,now take your leader and eel and snap your swivel to your line and let slide down,the eel is free to swim at any depth,just keep your drag set lose enought where if a fish does take it ,it wont take your pole with him,when fished correctly you wont have to set a hook the fish will do that on his own!good luck and i hope this rig will help you out.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if your bobber and eel rig dosent work for you try tying a weight4 to 8 onces directly to your line bank sinker,pyramid dosent matter.cast your line with the weight only,let sink to the bottom,tighten your line up,now take a snapswivel and tie a leader of your choice(40lb test works great)to the snapswivel,about a foot and half long,then tie a circle hook to the other end,use a rag when handeling eels makes for a easeier time,hook em either through the lips, eyes or tail,if you keep the eels in a bag of ice they become more dorment and wont freak out on you,deffenently something you want to do,now take your leader and eel and snap your swivel to your line and let slide down,the eel is free to swim at any depth,just keep your drag set lose enought where if a fish does take it ,it wont take your pole with him,when fished correctly you wont have to set a hook the fish will do that on his own!good luck and i hope this rig will help you out.
almost sounds like a modified fish finder rig... sweet... i'll give it a shot tonight... gonna bring a few extra rods then..

circle hook or J-hook??? guess'in a 4/0 maybe?!

·
Registered
192 Posts
almost like a inverted fishfinding rig,its good when there is a current, this rig will keep your eel from tangleing your line,not a good rig to use where there is no current,if you do get a run,you wont be able to get a hook set until the snapswivel bottoms out on the weight,thats why i fish this rig with a circle hook and let the fish do the work for you.make sure you ice them eels down,keep them in whatever bag you get with them,then set on ice or in another bag with ice. dont put them in a bag of ice you might drown em.good rig to fish with a rod holder that way you can have your dragset tight enough for the fish to hook himself,and lose enough for him to pull line out without breaking line or taking your rod overboard!good luck and let us know how you did.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
almost like a inverted fishfinding rig,its good when there is a current, this rig will keep your eel from tangleing your line,not a good rig to use where there is no current,if you do get a run,you wont be able to get a hook set until the snapswivel bottoms out on the weight,thats why i fish this rig with a circle hook and let the fish do the work for you.make sure you ice them eels down,keep them in whatever bag you get with them,then set on ice or in another bag with ice. dont put them in a bag of ice you might drown em.good rig to fish with a rod holder that way you can have your dragset tight enough for the fish to hook himself,and lose enough for him to pull line out without breaking line or taking your rod overboard!good luck and let us know how you did.
thanks for the tips dudes... i'll be at CBBT tonight... will have my black Calcuta hoodie on... can't miss me... i'll have the Sierra Mist cooler in the cart...

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
nice rig idea. I've found newspaer or brown paper bags are great for handling those slimy bastages. I also like to hook in the tail. lets em swim better.
When I hook 'em, it's right under the dorsal fin. Seems to work as they don't have the leverage to curl around the hook/leader. I've tried hooking them through the head & tail and both times they balled up into the leader. And yes, a little ice and a wet rag makes it easier to handle w/o them dying on ya.

From my experience, eels will yield some fat ars fish, but it's not a steady bite, but when it happens......hold on!!!!:D

Skunk

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the tips guys... i got 6 of them for 2.50 a pop. headed out to Seagull around 1030 last night... put one on a fishfinder, one on a 3 way, and one on the "modified" fishfinder mentioned earlier. i have to say... no wonder why i don't use these things all that often... i have to admit, i turn into a little girl when it comes to these and i was reminded nicely last night. but i got through it, rigged, soaked, checked, waited, reeled.... and waited... and waited... no takers... sad but true.

i ended up giving the remaining 3 to a couple of sailors i met that was stationed on the USS Enterprise, "The Big E". pretty cool kids, traded a few sea stories and fishing stories.

unfortunately, no luck on anything last night... there were a few blues popping the top for a little bit. tossed a few gotchas at 'em and to my misfurtune... still nothing. i suck at this!! but it keeps calling me back.

well i'll try again next time.

·
Registered
372 Posts
hey juan keep trying when they payoff they do it big. I use standard fish finder and float rigs with eels and cut bait like fresh alwive and mullet. If you can try live mullet under the bobber two. Mix it up a little. Good Luck and Tight Lines

Chesapeake

·
Registered
315 Posts
seagull

fished seagull untill midnight. it got cold and windy. didnt see anything but skate. i fished live eels on the bottom and live spot on a float and on the bottom .even tried the one rod pin rig. there was nothing in the lights and nothing on the pylons. tried bucktails, storms and gotyas. ended up with one small bluefish. when i left i think there were only 3 or 4 fishermen left....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ya... i stayed out there 'till about 0230... no schoolies, no nothin'...

despite the skunk... i'll be back for vengence... haha!! see ya'll on the planks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts