Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Edisto in early October. What can I expect ocean side? Been before and caught whiting, black and red drum. Any pompano around this time of year? Any Spanish Within casting distance of the beach? Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
This isn't specifically for Edisto but for SC beaches in general. Yeah and no on pompano that time of year, but big pompano can be caught. Pompano usually don't stay in a area for long, they feed by covering ground . The big pompano seem to move in a smaller schools and move around more then the little ones. So they might come by and you might catch one or a few but it's not super consistent. In my experience lower tides around points seem to be when I run into the big pomps. The big reds will be around and you can throw anywhere from in the surf to just behind the breakers and catch them. They range from mid 30 to 40 inch range and occasionally much larger. Some sharks, rays and all the other usual bottom fish will be around. You have to get good water for Spanish to be in that close but it happens occasionally so it wouldn't hurt to bring something incase you get lucky.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts