Pier and Surf Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
ok ive found the appropriate wording..........PERSUE IT! All he can do is be an a$$ like I was when I made my mistake in the Marketplace and not honor it ;)

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
;)well, at a retail store if a pricetag says 4.99, even if it is 499.99, I'm getting it for 4.99 or I'm never going back to that store.

So, I recommend you never shop with him again at a minimum.

Not sure why you feel entitled to benefit from someone's mistake. :confused:

It's one thing to get lucky on a deal, however it's a bit unethical to claim that the counter party has no right to remedy a mistake, and must honor it irregardless of the circumstances.

Fact is if you know an object is worth $499.00 and think you are entitled to get it at a mere fraction of the value because of a typo, you are kidding yourself.

What do you think a retail outlet is going to do ? Eat the loss? not likely- they'll find a way to pass the loss on to other consumers, so in essence your only hurting fellow shoppers- then again I sense its an "all about me Attitude"

so what do you care if someone gets financially hurt, damaged, maybe even fired, long as you recieve the benefit you did nothing to earn ?

Sorry, a little preachy, but it strikes a nerve.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Mark it's not often that I disagree with you, but if a $499.00 item in a retail, bricks and mortar store has the pricetag of $4.99, by law they have to honor it. How long was it on Ebay before you got it? That part is probably unknown, but Im sure it was long enough for the owner to review, which obviously he neglected to do. The apparent attitude of the seller is the main reason Id pursue. Not knowing exactly how, and with emotion and character distorted over the internet through text, it's not clear of the seller's attitude. From what basstardo said, the guy was being a [email protected]$$ ...so I'd go after it. Had the seller reacted differently and kept responding to emails, Id have dropped the issue. This is just what Id do, right or wrong.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Me Either

I don't believe in the It's all about ME ... Screw everybody else the dumb sob's .....

That's what has the country spiraling down to where we are today ... and that is Sad

The It's All About Me Generation .... :confused:

·
Banned
2,501 Posts
Treed, you remember when I bought that HDX off ya this year? And you screwed up and didn't charge me enough shipping? Well, I thought it would be nice just to be nice and go ahead and pay for shipping after the fact, even though you screwed up. Pay it forward man . . . benefit of the doubt . . . if the dude was out to screw anybody, then go get em', but an honest mistake? Common, it's the holidays.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I don't believe in the It's all about ME ... Screw everybody else the dumb sob's .....

That's what has the country spiraling down to where we are today ... and that is Sad

The It's All About Me Generation .... :confused:

Hmm and what about the let's all get along attitude? That's helping?? It doesn't work. Never has. Never will. That's sad as well.

It's not a generation. It happens young and old. It's about the seller's attitude in my opinion, had he been nicer, I woulda let it go if I was basstardo, but for some reason everybody over looked that and jumped to persue it or let it go, not HIS attitude.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Treed, you remember when I bought that HDX off ya this year? And you screwed up and didn't charge me enough shipping? Well, I thought it would be nice just to be nice and go ahead and pay for shipping after the fact, even though you screwed up. Pay it forward man . . . benefit of the doubt . . . if the dude was out to screw anybody, then go get em', but an honest mistake? Common, it's the holidays.
[email protected] you got me there. As I said though, it was attitude. I wasnt an @$$ to you and offered to eat it. You being the nice guy you are wouldnt let that happen. I havent forgotten that and still appreciate that to this day. This guy didnt even offer to eat his mistake. Im a nice guy and pay it forward, newsjeff will tell ya that.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
There are a lot of good opinions here, and I've got thoughts leaning towards both sides. The biggest problem I have is the guy stopped talking to me. If he would have at least kept an open channel of conversation, there wouldn't be a second thought about this, I would have let it go. I have now tried to contact him 4 separate times, through both eBay and PayPal. The more the guys keeps blowing me off, the more I get ticked off. :mad: His first couple of messages before he stopped talking were pretty snidely worded as well.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
basstardo

How many times have you emailed him ... If he won't sell it for $5 and refunded your money there isn't alot else to talk about ....

Did he offer you the reel at a more reasonable price ... or credit or anything else ....

Found this reading the reg's ... it pertains more to the buyer but seems like it would too if the seller made a mistake

fail to deliver payment for items purchased by you, unless the seller has materially changed the item's description after you bid, a clear typographical error is made, or you cannot authenticate the seller's identity;

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
when did he stopped replying to your emails, after you filed a paypal complaint or before?

surfchunker is right, there's nothing to talk about.
seller refused to sell even with the threat of a negative feedback- there's nothing to tlak about.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'd SUE
Sue everyone!!!
That made me chuckle. I'm going to drop the complaint. Not worth it in the end, and what goes around comes around, so I'd rather just let it go. Maybe the fish gods will pay me back with some luck. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Mark it's not often that I disagree with you, but if a $499.00 item in a retail, bricks and mortar store has the pricetag of $4.99, by law they have to honor it. How long was it on Ebay before you got it? That part is probably unknown, but Im sure it was long enough for the owner to review, which obviously he neglected to do. The apparent attitude of the seller is the main reason Id pursue. Not knowing exactly how, and with emotion and character distorted over the internet through text, it's not clear of the seller's attitude. From what basstardo said, the guy was being a [email protected]$$ ...so I'd go after it. Had the seller reacted differently and kept responding to emails, Id have dropped the issue. This is just what Id do, right or wrong.
I'll have to differ in opinion on the store issue. While most stores might honor an incorrect price tag on an item- the law says they are under no obligation to do so. THe price tag does not represent a leagally binding offer- it is defined legally as an "invitation to trade", this includes newspaper and magazine advertisements, store window displays, price tags on merchandise,and prices in catalogs, all fall in this category.

No sale is executed until a customer makes an offer to buy at the specified price, - AND the seller accepts the offer of that price in exchange for the merchandise.

If a store does honor an incorrect price, they are doing so out of fear of bad publicity, and under small mistakes may suck up the loss, but they under no obligation to do so.

Worth remembering if they refuse to honor an obviously mismarked item- stomp out of the store po'ed if you like, but they are within their rights in refusing to make the sale.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Man that is great to hear,,, I always worry if me or Catman have to much to :beer: and make some stupid price on a custom rack :redface:

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Man that is great to hear,,, I always worry if me or Catman have to much to :beer: and make some stupid price on a custom rack :redface:

Sorry Shooter- that's a different situation
- if you give a specific individual a "quote" that can likely be held as a legally binding offer to an individual, it's different than an "invitation to trade" with the public at large.

There's a legit reasonm why the incorrect price does not "have" to be honored. If I as a car dealer take an ad out selling new cars for $29,000, but the ad is misprinted by leaving a zero off ( $2900), the law recognizes I would be out of buisness in a hurry if forced to honor the "mistake". Some unscrupulous businesses may try to get you in the door by advertising something at a low price intentionally and then claiming its a "mistake" or that they are out of the advertised item (bait and switch). These are the businesses I'd be refusing to deal with, not the honest Joe making an honest mistake. It may at times be difficult to distinguish between the two- and this is where I agree in part with Treed- if the seller acts like a real jerk I may refuse to do further business with him, but nothing much I can do about forcing him to honor an incorrect price.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Not sure why you feel entitled to benefit from someone's mistake. :confused:

What do you think a retail outlet is going to do ? Eat the loss?
Absolutely! I have NEVER had a store refuse to honor a mispriced item where the store had marked the price. I have had a couple of times where a customer appeared to have moved a price tag from one item to another. I understood and did not complain.

It's all about customer service. A good store who values their customers will treat their customers right. Even if a store loses $100 on a sale, it would be wise to honor the price tag or sign. Why? The lifetime value of a good customer is much greater than the money lost. If you don't match the price, you risk ruining the relationship with the customer and thus the future value of that customer's profit stream.

Your attitude reflects the attitude I have often heard of in small time stores ran by small time owners. Not the kind of place I'm going to shop at very often anyway.

I'm taken by surprise that you think this is an "all about me" issue. Some of the best stores out there, see Nordstroms, will honor a return from a customer knowing the customer did not purchase the item at Nordstroms, even knowing Nordstroms does not sell the item. I had a professor who used to be a Nordstroms exec tell us the story of a lady, who owned a Nordstroms credit card and was a regular shopper, who came in demanding a refund on a sweater. She said she paid $100 but didn't have the receipt. The customer service agent knew it was a brand they didn't even sell. What did they do? They gave the lady $100 and donated the sweater to some charitable organization.

Happy customers = lifetime income streams. If you need a lesson on the present value of future income streams, let me know. I'll warn you, it's pretty boring crap.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Absolutely! I have NEVER had a store refuse to honor a mispriced item where the store had marked the price. I have had a couple of times where a customer appeared to have moved a price tag from one item to another. I understood and did not complain.

It's all about customer service. A good store who values their customers will treat their customers right. Even if a store loses $100 on a sale, it would be wise to honor the price tag or sign. Why? The lifetime value of a good customer is much greater than the money lost. If you don't match the price, you risk ruining the relationship with the customer and thus the future value of that customer's profit stream.

Your attitude reflects the attitude I have often heard of in small time stores ran by small time owners. Not the kind of place I'm going to shop at very often anyway.

I'm taken by surprise that you think this is an "all about me" issue. Some of the best stores out there, see Nordstroms, will honor a return from a customer knowing the customer did not purchase the item at Nordstroms, even knowing Nordstroms does not sell the item. I had a professor who used to be a Nordstroms exec tell us the story of a lady, who owned a Nordstroms credit card and was a regular shopper, who came in demanding a refund on a sweater. She said she paid $100 but didn't have the receipt. The customer service agent knew it was a brand they didn't even sell. What did they do? They gave the lady $100 and donated the sweater to some charitable organization.

Happy customers = lifetime income streams. If you need a lesson on the present value of future income streams, let me know. I'll warn you, it's pretty boring crap.
Thanks Husky, I've had to go thru all those present value calcs myself, your right, not really exciting stuff. I can appreciate your opinion, and I can understand a store not wanting to take a publicity hit on an error if they can live with it.

The problem is it dosen't take long for people to start to demand that they're legally entitled to benefit from someones mistake, since it is so often seen as common practice. Then they want to get bent out of shape and act outraged, because they perceived they have been wronged, when in fact they haven't.

All I'm saying is if a seller is willing to honor a mistake, more power to them. But am I going to demand satisfaction , if they are unwilling. NO.

I have no legal basis to expect them to "Have" to honor the mistake.

Using the threat of taking future business elsewhere to attempt to coerce them into honoring a mistake may be common- but a bit unethical in my book.

Remember, it boils down to you "knowingly" taking advantage of someone elses mistake. If push comes to shove- your wrong for doing so- both from a moral and legal standpoint.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Well, it sounds like we are on the same page. I am very cordial and nice when dealing with people at stores. Maybe this is why I tend to get what I ask for in these circumstances. If I didn't get my way, I'd just leave.

That said, I don't think a consumer has any way of knowing for certain if the price is correct or not. Many times items that were once expensive are clearanced out. You never know why a store might mark something down.

That said, it is certainly obvious in the case of the reel that started this thread. And it would be obvious if say a Nintendo Wii was marked 39.99.

21 - 40 of 372 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.