Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I was just cuious about something. Ive never fished the Potomac but being as though it is really poluted, do you guys that fish there actually eat the fish you catch?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Which part of the potomac? Up by (VA) Rt 15 where there's good smallmouth fishing? DC, where largemouth and stripers made a strong return a decade ago or down by the mouth?
I personally wouldn't eat anything around DC (that lives in the water). But I used to buy fish down at the waterfront on Maine Ave in DC - who knows where those fish and crabs came from.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The Potomac has become a great place to fish for catch and release purposes for gamefish like largemouth bass. Some people eat catfish taken from those waters, but you gotta be real careful. Sewage runoff from Blue Plains, makes anything from DC on downriver highly suspect. Little kids and women of childbearing age have to be especially careful about PCBs in some waters. Check with the Environmental Protection Agency, Food and Drug Administration and the MD and VA agencies handling inland fisheries. It's their job to know. But to be on the safe side, I throw 'em back!

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you don't mind growing an extra tail or two....go ahead munch'em up....!! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts