Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure it's been discussed before but was wondering if anyone eat them and what they compare too?

I've had times where I was catching some pretty big ones and always wondered if they might be worth keeping.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's a snapper, so if you can get past the bones it's probably pretty good.

Might have to settle for dozens of tiny fillets.

·
Registered
948 Posts
We had a family vacation and caught a bunch of them one time at Pawley's and tried them. There was some other fish in the mix too, so the Pinfish just added to the total and there was a bunch of us that had to eat. Didn't fillet them, just scaled, and removed heads & insides. They were fried. Wasn't a favorite but it's a fish. Not something I would likely do again, because of the bones and small size. Yes, they make better bait than table fare!

·
Registered
955 Posts
I was catching them as big as,some bigger than, spots back in October. The fillet off of them was as big as any spot. And filleted pin fish is one of my favorite flounder baits.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Caught a couple of big ones out of the ocean years ago. Fried them up. Tasted like spot or croaker to me.
Ha, now that you mention it we've kept and eaten a few big spottail pinfish while out on headboats. They are good to eat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts