Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...being from louisiana where mullet is considered a "trash" fish and only to be used as bait....and from living in panama city beach for almost 4 yrs....then moving to virginia....i'm kinda confused about mullet lol...most of my life while living in La. mullet was crab bait......then i moved to PCB and found out ppl love to eat mullet ...i have even been to the "mullet festival" in niceville.. where its the main attraction......well i went to see the dixie chicks play and never got to sample some lol....then i move to virginia.. where again its considered bait..........my question is... are the mullet up here in virginia the same as the ones in fla? can i eat them?....i'm thinking the difference in water quality from La., fla and va. may be the difference in a good tasting fish meat.......i see some filipinos cast netting alot of big mullet here and i'm sure they are eating them.....am i missing something?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
It's a Florida Thing Kajun

MULLET
Mugil cephalus

Often included in the writings of ancient Romans, the mullet was cultivated thousands of years ago in the deltas of the Nile River. Native chieftains of the Hawaiian and Phillippine Islands once had large numbers of fish ponds built throughout the islands for the express purpose of raising mullet. This fish is still held in high esteem and is recognized as one of the most valuable finfish from Florida waters.

The mullet also goes by the name of striped mullet or black mullet. It has a stout, elongated body with a broad head. It is bluish gray above and silvery on its sides and belly. It has large scales with dark centers that give the appearance of longitudinal lines on the sides of the fish. The fish averages 2-3 pounds in size.

Mullet are found from Maine to Brazil in the Atlantic, and from Monterey, California, to Chile in the Pacific. Florida produces approximately 75% of the mullet caught in the United States. Mullet are schooling fish and are generally easy to spot jumping in and out of the water.

CULINARY DESCRIPTION

This fish makes fine eating. The mullet's tender, firm-textured flesh has a mild, nut-like flavor. Mullet adapts readily to oven frying, baking, broiling, and is particularly good smoked.

Mullet is an oily fish, and that is both its blessing and its curse. It is the rich, redolent oil that gives mullet its flavor, which local aficionados claim is unique. But if netted mullet aren't quickly put on ice - and even after a couple of days with refrigeration - mullet loses its delicate, fresh flavor and takes on the classic "fishy" taste that offends so many taste buds.

But dust fresh mullet in flour and cornmeal, salt and pepper, and any fish-loving local will tell you that it is at least the equal of any fish that swims the sea ... at least on a plate. -

Mullet life history: An assessment of habitat characteristics, movements and reproduction
http://www.ncseagrant.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=research_item&category=fisheries&type=research&id=603
I don't see why they would be any diff . There migrating up and down the coast,
That mullet was toooo big for the page.:D

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Well Kajun those mullet are on the smoker right now and your welcome to some.:D They should be ready right about race time.
:cool:

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Kozlow said:
Well Kajun those mullet are on the smoker right now and your welcome to some.:D They should be ready right about race time.
:cool:
Well if you're a #8 fan, you had a good day :D Ya'll had to post all this Mullet stuff, huh? Are you doing a cold or hot smoke for your fish? Do you know how nasty/small the boiled peanuts in a can are here? Do you know why I moved back to Va??? I can't think of a good reason.... maybe so I wouldn't have the "Shrimp" guy right around the corner? Maybe I just like my toes cold in the morning? I need to see a doctor, blood's getting to "thick".... think I used to catch Specs 20 feet out my back door, that can't be right.... why would I be here? I'm confused, but I always get that way this time of year.... "Snowbird", yea, that's the ticket... Oh yea, gotta have money, and two homes for that... need a winter roommate ;)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
wizardude anyone is welcome to my place anytime they wanna come on down and wet some lines and put those toes in the sand. Think of it as a open invite . No # 8 is not the man my guy #2 ran into the back of the Smoke who I dislike a great deal. Maybe I need some anger managnent classes . Junior is OK. Hot Smoking those mullet , they turned out great .:cool:
Take Care

·
Registered
823 Posts
oh yea a mullet and a blue get thesame treatment.......... ya gotta catch em and eat em. they dont store well

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey! Stop eating the bait! Or better yet, there's a fresh one at the end of my line if you simply can't resist............:p

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Kozlow said:
wizardude anyone is welcome to my place anytime they wanna come on down and wet some lines and put those toes in the sand. Think of it as a open invite . No # 8 is not the man my guy #2 ran into the back of the Smoke who I dislike a great deal. Maybe I need some anger managnent classes . Junior is OK. Hot Smoking those mullet , they turned out great .:cool:
Take Care

Thanks much for the invite.... maybe one of these days:)

Just for the record, Jr. is fine, but also not who I root for.

I smoke just about everything else (that didn't sound very good, did it...what I mean is I like cooking with fire), but never tried Mullet, guess cause it was so easy to get there, and always thought they were cold smoked. Have to try it next year...... when I can get some fresh..... think they're heading south for the winter:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts