Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
New spider ?

I hadn't seen this post before so I looked at it when someone suggested it as a quick way of tying a spider.

This looks a lot like a knot that I've seen elsewhere called a 'blood bight' knot...(used for tying dropper loops)

http://www.carlylelake.com/Fishing/Knots/bloodbight.htm

Does it look the same to you or am I just misunderstanding the pics posted in this thread ?

I've always used the albright but thought I might try the spider to no-name as a quicker, easier connection to tie on the beach at night. (wanted a shorter spider so that the distance between the 2 knots is less than my reel's spool circumference.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I hadn't seen this post before so I looked at it when someone suggested it as a quick way of tying a spider.

This looks a lot like a knot that I've seen elsewhere called a 'blood bight' knot...(used for tying dropper loops)

http://www.carlylelake.com/Fishing/Knots/bloodbight.htm

Does it look the same to you or am I just misunderstanding the pics posted in this thread ?

I've always used the albright but thought I might try the spider to no-name as a quicker, easier connection to tie on the beach at night. (wanted a shorter spider so that the distance between the 2 knots is less than my reel's spool circumference.

Thanks,
Mark
You could be onto something.

They do look similar and today while showing a friend the knot I tied it twice in a row and when I held the line out it looked like a well tied bottom rig.

I think I am going to start tying my bottom rigs this way as the loop really seemed to stick out straight and is easier to do than a dropper loop.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Yepper, that's the knot I use for dropper loops. If you put more twists in it, the loop stands out more. A coupla' things; you can cut one end of the loop for more bait action, attaching the hook to one end, and, steel tackle stylee, slide a small tube(cotton swap, ear cleaner with ends cut off) over the dropper loop and use a snelled hook to the loop. This method really keeps the snell from getting tangled and casts well because it is light. Then, if you really want to get fancy, slide a small hook with the point cut off up the line, put a twist in it and hook your baited hook to it. Stops helicoptering.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts