Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off the video did not come out as nice as I wanted so I apologize. Since I have a cheap camera there is no audio to help explain it but I will try.

First you take and double your line like you would for a normal spider.Then double that line by creating a loop with left pointer finger and hook original loop on right finger. Twist with left finger three times and then come back through the loop on left finger with the loop on the right finger and since it up pulling on both the main line and the tag end and then since tight. I then tied the no name making sure to go through the second loop formed not back through the first loop. Hope this makes sense.

As you can see in this pic the spider is less than 3" where when I tie them the old way I have a hard time getting them under 5-6".

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
What knot are you tying from the loop to the shocker? I'm using the no-name, and I intentionally make the loop in the spider longer in order to make it easier to tie the knot.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
What knot are you tying from the loop to the shocker? I'm using the no-name, and I intentionally make the loop in the spider longer in order to make it easier to tie the knot.
I make my loop about 5 inches because I like 7 wraps for my no name knot. I do realize that there is a chance of the loop catching ... I never noticed this before.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a no name.

I make my loop about 5 inches because I like 7 wraps for my no name knot. I do realize that there is a chance of the loop catching ... I never noticed this before.
I use 3, 4 max.Never had a failure. When I have tried to use more I have a hard time getting the knot sinced even with lots of spit.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
You've got to be kidding me! That is exactly the redone version of the spider I was talking about at Wilber's. I spent hours trying to figure out the geometry of that knot and an easier way to tie it.

Instead of going around the thumb, you take the bottom loop and twirl it four times, then pass the loop back through it.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
You've got to be kidding me! That is exactly the redone version of the spider I was talking about at Wilber's. I spent hours trying to figure out the geometry of that knot and an easier way to tie it.

Instead of going around the thumb, you take the bottom loop and twirl it four times, then pass the loop back through it.
sounds like bible material. Purty werk Clay....

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
That's a good one...

...Clay. It took me 3 seconds to tie it. I think the first time I saw it was when Tater was showing me how to tie knots!:D

Thanks for sharing.
Bill:fishing:

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...Clay. It took me 3 seconds to tie it. I think the first time I saw it was when Tater was showing me how to tie knots!:D

Thanks for sharing.
Bill:fishing:
Like son like dad. Kenny showed me that during the striper tourney. He had tried to describe it but seeing was understanding for me.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Nice job on the video and description Clay! I use that knot a lot, and it just made it easier. :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use a bloodknot been using it for years,simple knot to tie,it never lets me down when tied correctly,im real anal when i tie my shock on,thats a pretty knot in all but i think its little much,bloodknot might not be a 100% i think its like 85% or something like that but thats where your drag comes in play if you lock down your drag on a big fish,your asking to break him off thats why 100% knots really dont matter unless your fishing offshore for big yellowfin etc using braid to mono,(you cant teach an old salt new tricks)peace put

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I use a bloodknot been using it for years,simple knot to tie,it never lets me down when tied correctly,im real anal when i tie my shock on,thats a pretty knot in all but i think its little much,bloodknot might not be a 100% i think its like 85% or something like that but thats where your drag comes in play if you lock down your drag on a big fish,your asking to break him off thats why 100% knots really dont matter unless your fishing offshore for big yellowfin etc using braid to mono,(you cant teach an old salt new tricks)peace put
Have you talked to Old Salt/Phart Kenny Wilson?? Why use less when it's easy to have 95-100%

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ian, I was just trying to help with a new way of tying the spider. I was in no way saying its the best or only knot someone should use. My opinion is the best knot out there is the one you tie the best and more importantly, you have confidence in. You have confidence in the blood knot and I have confidence in the spider. I'm sure we both have caught nice fish on our favorite knots.:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
hey i remember when every body got crazed out on albrights my friend tied one on for me and sure enough it broke,the bloodknot been being used for a very long time,theres nothing wrong with the bloodknot,keep it simple,and lifes a breeze.Cdog you coulnt have said it more perfectly!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
hey i remember when every body got crazed out on albrights my friend tied one on for me and sure enough it broke,the bloodknot been being used for a very long time,theres nothing wrong with the bloodknot,keep it simple,and lifes a breeze.Cdog you coulnt have said it more perfectly!
I can agree with that as well ;)

·
Banned
745 Posts
New video please

My eyes are not what they used to be. I could not make the video out very well. Meantime I will tie off a few from your commentary:D

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry Teddy

I tried to get the video better but my camera sucks on video. So here is pics with description.Hope this makes sense.

VIDEO

1st, double line like for a regular spider.

Next, double that line with one loop on left finger and original loop on right.

Next, twist left finger three or four times.

Next, reach through loop on left finger and bring original loop through.

Here I have the original loop through the left loop.

Pull left loop and even up with right hand.

and we are done.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
i can tie my spiders about 1"

but then tying the the shocker is hard .
so i use a nail knot.
with a short 1" tube, its very easy as there arent coils uncurling everywhere.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i can tie my spiders about 1"

but then tying the the shocker is hard .
so i use a nail knot.
with a short 1" tube, its very easy as there arent coils uncurling everywhere.
With this method if you are not careful you can end up with a 1" spider.Much too short for a no name.I'll have to try the nail.Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
While sitting in jail last night, I was practicing knots with some of the birds nest material I seem to be collecting lately and tried this! OMG what a great knot! It took a minute or three to figure which part looped into what, but this is a great wat to tie the spider hitch! Thanks

p.s. tried the BT also:mad: sticking with the hitch for now!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Knots

I surf fish and use a shockleader. I have the theory that two small(er) knots will pass through guides easier than one large one.

I either braid my shockleader and main line together or use a spider with a Bristol or no name knot. It is a very strong connection which holds up real well. C2

1 - 20 of 25 Posts