Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Spinning reel jigging
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned 50 and remember back when I was preteen into teenager we caught spot and blues in Rock Hall late summer early fall. That's not happening now but I see reports spot and a few blues get caught directly across the bay and a tad north of Rock Hall. Anyone know why the salt would be higher on 1 side of the bay as opposed to the other.?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Depending on the rain fall that affects the salinity line you can still find these fish off love and swan point. The lack of fish might be tied to the overall decline in blue fish right know. Spot are always hit or miss this far up the bay.

·
Registered
Spinning reel jigging
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok let me reword this a little bit. I have been consistently fishing Rock Hall for the past 5-10yrs and haven't seen a spot/bluefish run in the late summer early fall in those years. I understand fishing from year to year is hit or miss depending on weather and rain fall but to go this many years in a row and the fish not show up is odd to me. Heck I can even remember fishing further north around the Still Pond coast guard station catching spots and blues late summer early fall. Haven't fished there in years though

·
Registered
457 Posts
The eastern side of the bay is always a little clearer water and a little saltier than the west side. Spot will be all over the area well up past Tolchester and Warton's Point in another few weeks with even a few keeper croaker mixing in as well. Bluefish used to arrive in mid to late August depending on the salinity and stay around until mid to late October. My personal best bluefish was 36"+ and 12 plus pounds caught in the Gunpowder River in September in the late 1980's. Anymore, bluefish are few and far between. Picture is from 7/17/2021 south of Poole's Island
Shoe Food Seafood Fish Ray-finned fish

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
The eastern side of the bay is always a little clearer water and a little saltier than the west side. Spot will be all over the area well up past Tolchester and Warton's Point in another few weeks with even a few keeper croaker mixing in as well. Bluefish used to arrive in mid to late August depending on the salinity and stay around until mid to late October. My personal best bluefish was 36"+ and 12 plus pounds caught in the Gunpowder River in September in the late 1980's. Anymore, bluefish are few and far between. Picture is from 7/17/2021 south of Poole's Island
View attachment 69476
---------------Nice! I would be happy with that catch of large perch. Jerry, I am going to make a white perch trip to my perch area in a few days. Report will be on the other side.

·
Registered
Spinning reel jigging
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well they definitely don't come around the bridge south of Rock Hall anymore. I haven't seen any decent spots or blues there in the past 10yrs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts