Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 25 lb test line to use on a spinning reel to replace Power Pro. I'm looking for a durable, low diameter mono or copolymer line that can be cast a long distance. I've tried Maxima & found it to be very durable but not very castable. I also tried Stren that I found to be OK but a little thicker than I'd like.
Can anyone make any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
In general I use Sufix Tritanium for most applications and I can recomend it. I also use P-Line on a couple of rods and it is strong stuff. Berkley came out with a line I'm going to try the Iron Silk I have heard very good things about it. All three are copolymers should work well. Also in the braid world Spiderwire Stealth seems to be good. PP seemed to have good and bad batches(I got the bad batches). I hope this helps.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Gamakatzu makes a really nice, strong, small diameter line. I put about 360 yards of 17 lb test on Daiwa SL 20 and had no trouble hauling in a couple of 40+ lb cow-nosed rays with it.

It casts beautifully. But it is not cheap.

Tight lines.

Tom

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I use YoZuri Hybrid on my surf spinner and all my conventionals - to include the one I use for lure fishing at IRI (15 lb test). It is a flurocarbon/mono mix. It is very tough and does not hold a set or kink. :)

I have also used Trilene Inshore line and like it too. Not as strong as the Hybrid. Casts well too.

·
Banned
1,218 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Greetings Sandcrab!

Saw the Yo-Zuri hybrid advertised in the Surfcaster 2003 catalog. How is the knot strength? Do you need glue, or will it hold with standard knots (I like the improved clinch... pretty easy to tie after 25 years or so!)

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I never had a problem with Yozuri line as far as knots go. But during colder weather it very stiff and had a nasty memory. I pulled it off the reel. By the way I test line over the winter since that is when you will see memory problems.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
MJ,

The line is outstanding for knot strength. I use the regular cinch knot and have not had any problems.

As far a memory problems with the line, I have used it exclusively during the warmer months and have not had any problems with it. On my last trip to IRI a couple of weeks ago I had respooled my reel and put on Trilene Inshore line in 15 lb test. Except for some ice on the line, it worked great. Really nice to cast too. A lot softer than the YZ line. I think the Trilene is better in the Winter but I will return to the YZ come Spring.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Gretings Digger and Sandcrab!

Thanks for the advice! Think I'll load my TiCA with the Yozuri, and maybe get some extra distance out of it. I had one of the Trilene lines on toward the end of last season, and it was a bit stiff. Knotstrength is important to me; I think a bad knot is the second worst excuse for losing a nice fish. I've seen plenty of guys yell about fish "breaking" their lines, but that pigtail on the end always tells me it was their knot that let go. (Just in case anyone is curious, the number one worst reason for losing a fish is drag not set right!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.