Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was fishing the Lynnhaven Inlet yesterday. The boaters there never slow down in the no wake zone.

Anyway these idiots (likely the mother and father) were pulling at high speed two or three kids in a rubber ring/raft behind the boat.

The boat goes in between the channel markers but does not
slow down that much. You can guess what happened. The kids in the raft slammed right into the channel marker pole. Whack!
The big bird nest on top of the pole tumbles into the water.
They picked up the kids and motored away in a hurry.

Two guys fishing in kayaks couldn't believe the kids were okay.
Not me either.

·
Registered
823 Posts
bet they werent ok. bet they ended up at the hospital. stuff like that is what keeps me employeed. too bad for the kids

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Wonder if the pole;s okay :D

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Jeeees.

You should have gotten the boat registration number, and turned the idiot into the authorities.

Not only is that person a hazard to the boating community, but is also ruining habitat.

People are too selfish these days.:(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fish'n Phil,

That was you fishing from land? I was one of the guys in the kayaks. If so, It was good to meet you! I assume that is your residence? Sweet location! Fish'n Phil, if you ever want to get out on a kayak with us and drift around a bit, just say the word, I have a spare that my wife seldom uses. Did you catch anything else after we saw you?

I paddled over to them as fast as I could to make sure they were ok and the father looked at me as if I was crazy and said NOTHING. That was a very scary sound.....When I got to them, the young daughter said to the father..."you just tried to kill us!" I know there wasn't much I could do as far as transporting anyone, but I had a cell phone and was ready to call for help in case the father and mother didn't/or if they were in shock a bit. I know where they live(I see their boat and tube docked at night). Let me say that just because you have a ton of $$$ doesn't mean you have a brain in your head, as was demonstrated by that guy last night.

In addition, as Fish'n Phil said, there were big boats ignoring the no wake area and blowing by us. Just another example of people with big toys and little brains.

·
Registered
467 Posts
What about the Bird's Nest???

There wasn't any birds in the nest when it fell over was it? Where will the birds nest now? Some people think that because they have a Boat or Jet Ski they own the water ways. They will get whats coming to them in the end.........Tight Lines

MC

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Now that is some dumb stuff. Some people are just as smart as a bunch of rocks.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Good Lord...I hope they got the kid to a hospital. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a concussion or internal injuries from slamming into a post like that.

This really dispels the stereotype that all the empty-headed morons out there are shorebound guys...

·
Registered
15 Posts
fishnkid,

typically catch small stripers, small bluefish, croaker, and puppy drum.....every now and then hook into a flounder and try to avoid the big rays. Caught a flounder on a 4 1/2inch cordell red fin one morning....that was a first for me(catching a flounder on a stick bait)

lately we have been trying to target the puppy drum in certain locations and when the tides are right. Has been hit or miss as of late, but still learning how/where to catch them. Started out w/grubs and hooked a few, switched over to minnows after reading about other people tearing them up with minnows and they have worked well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was the other guy in the kayak. I have no clue how those kids were unharmed by that event. The funny thing is, the boater's dock was not 500 yards from where this happened. You would think he would be familiar with the no wake zones that are practically in his back yard.

Regarding the other boats that weren't observing the no wake zone, they think that if they cut the corner of the channel, they don't have to slow down. Well, I don't think a lot of the guys realize that they were motoring over an extremely shallow oyster bar that exposes at low tide. I was waiting for the prop to explode, shocked that the tide was somehow just high enough to prevent them from hitting. Phil, I'm sure you have seen some extremely interesting sites from shore right there.

Abosolute geniuses.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
How would that one go: Priceless!!

Idiots!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I'm surprised the Marine Patrol or the city Police wasn't sitting nearby. Ever since the fishing in the channel controversy, they've been anchored on the bay side of the bridge.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to procreate.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since I've been fishing from that point I have seen the marine patrol cruise by once. Almost never does any boat slow down enough in the no wake zone.

I do not recall if there were any birds in the nest when it got knocked off the pole.

Db & Fishyakker... no I did not get any other bites after
we spoke besides mosquito bites. The fishing there has really dropped off the past six weeks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i was at the inlet all weekend and i saw the police there the entire time. i even saw them give a guy a ticket!!:D i do agree the people go too fast through there. too close too. i swear to god i could have hit a boat if i had a 10' rod. the idiots went right by. the funny thing is they were the ones to get the ticket later on when they dropped anchor under the bridge!!!! woo hoo.... there is justice. i also saw some way undersize fish being kept. pissed me off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sheer luck and the grace of God those kids weren't killed...

Last month I was lucky enough to catch a ride on my buddy’s’ 19-foot Striper. One morning at the CLT…

A beautiful, fully equipped 26-foot center console fishing machine with twin 150 Mercs, bristling with expensive rods, shows up late with a half-dozen yahoos aboard. They elbow their way through the formation and try to tie up to the CLT - a published navigation aid, in violation of several dozen federal laws. The inexperienced driver gets too close and the 5-foot swell slams the bow into the tower, cracking the bow and tearing off the rub rail and nav lights, etc... The owner starts cussing like a fool and they back out at half throttle, nearly swamping their engines in the swell. I look at my buddy and remark: “I wonder if those Mercs will run under water…”

After licking their wounds for a while, the cussing subsides and they come back in on the exact same route. This time they toss the anchor - INSIDE the tower. Of course, almost immediately they’re hooked up, and the first spadefish on is a real fighter. The guy chases it down the stbd side, unfortunately nobody noticed that the transom door was left open and he chases the fish right off the back of the boat. Man overboard! After quite a bit of sputtering, huffing and puffing, they pull the extremely overweight fellow back aboard, but the fish, rod and reel are lost at sea (reel appeared to be a Shimano Calcutta, or a look-alike). For some reason, they seem to be unappreciative to our cheers, and ignore our repeated requests for a “cannonball next time!!.”

Things quiet down for a while, but after 20-minutes pass there’s another scramble aboard the Ship of Fools. They fire up the engines and back out in a hurry again. I’m still hoping for an underwater demo of the Mercs, to no avail. As they scream past, the same guy on the bow is loudly denouncing his loyalty to the Fish Gods while waving the frazzled end of the anchor rhode around - apparently victim of the barnacles. From there they call it a day and headed west at best speed.

Things quieted down remarkably after that, and I thought it couldn’t get any more entertaining. Wrong. Half-hour later, a big Albe pulls up to the west side of the tower tosses the anchor – a really shiny, brand new one from the looks of it. Unfortunately, the chain wasn't tied to the rhode. Bye-bye anchor and 20-feet of chain. They give it the college try with a wreck anchor for 15-minutes, then the anchorman passes out from exhaustion. SOF II heads for Rudy, presumably to buy another anchor.

A wise old ship’s Master once told me to never, ever forget, that the only thing someone needs lots of to buy a really big, really fast boat, is money.

Rich

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
ROTFLMAO! Some people :rolleyes: They never learn!

·
Registered
290 Posts
LMAO That one's hard to beat:)

Fishen with your buds and a side show to-boot:p What a great day!

FISH HARD!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts