Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting excited by the picture from the concrete ships and want to give it a try. I am a warm weather keyaker, mostly puppy drum in Lynnhaven during the summer. What should I wear to fish the concrete ships? It looks like a lot of people wear dry suits - any suggestions on which to get and where to get it? I am also a diver, will a wet suit work?

Also, where do you park for the ships and how far a paddle is it to the fishing grounds?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
95 Posts
a wet suit will absolutely work. if youre confident in your paddling skills, pic a calm day for the ships, and be sure to wear your PFD you should have no problem. are you paddling a SINK or SOT? Either way, a good wet suit will keep you from catching hypothermia so you can get back in your yak and hopefully make it to shore. you want to be sure your wet suit can handle warm water just in case you do go in....3/4mm is plenty i believe

·
Registered
243 Posts
U will be extremely miserable once ur wet suit gets wet and the wind is blowing on you. neoprene is crap unless u r gonna stay submersed in the water.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Drysuit is the absolute best option, next would be dry top and waders, then a wetsuit, which is better than a jacket and snow pants. Which by the way I have seen in the last fews days at Kiptopeake.

The key is not to go alone and know how to self rescue. The water is around 40 degrees, you will not last long if you are not properly dressed and trained.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Drysuit is the absolute best option, next would be dry top and waders, then a wetsuit, which is better than a jacket and snow pants. Which by the way I have seen in the last fews days at Kiptopeake.

The key is not to go alone and know how to self rescue. The water is around 40 degrees, you will not last long if you are not properly dressed and trained.
woooooooooow thats not only crazy but irresponsable not only do you put youre self in danger wearing snow pants and such but you put others around you in danger when they have to try and pull someone up thats soaking wet i dont know many people that will sit and watch someone floating (or sinking ) in 40 degree water and not try and help out

·
Registered
30 Posts
woooooooooow thats not only crazy but irresponsable not only do you put youre self in danger wearing snow pants and such but you put others around you in danger when they have to try and pull someone up thats soaking wet i dont know many people that will sit and watch someone floating (or sinking ) in 40 degree water and not try and help out

Would snowpants be more dangerous than waders? If water were to fill the waders up wouldn't it be near impossible to get out of the water then?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Would snowpants be more dangerous than waders? If water were to fill the waders up wouldn't it be near impossible to get out of the water then?
Yes they would. Most kayakers who use waders also wear a drytop and a pfd, which prevents most of the water from entering the waders. USing theses three items has been proven to work. But the key is knowing how to self rescue, and actually being able to do it quickly.

·
Registered
846 Posts
i have been in the drink more then once only one cold water turtle and there were about 6 others out to witness it:--| i had a pair of waders and a rain jacket and a pfd and i think only right above my neck was a lil wet still dont know how the rain jacket keeps water out from underneath but it works i think its something to do with the PFD

·
Registered
440 Posts
i have been in the drink more then once only one cold water turtle and there were about 6 others out to witness it:--| i had a pair of waders and a rain jacket and a pfd and i think only right above my neck was a lil wet still dont know how the rain jacket keeps water out from underneath but it works i think its something to do with the PFD
Bingo, the pfd compresses the waders and the jacket, limiting the amount of water that enters. Getting back on your kayak quickly will also reduce exposure. Get a true dry top with good neck and wrist seals, and it acts like a dive bell. As long as the air stays in there it displaces the water. In th turtle classes that I assisted with, most of the wader wearing angler only got wet when they kicked up into the vertical position to get their belly over the seat.

Great dicsussion, maybe we will try to do an in water session again very soon.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Help!!! Help!!! Help!!!! I was there and it was classic, but we did manage to recover most of your tackle. Hey, I've been there and done that too...:D

Skunk

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Ok;

dumb question maybe, but to keep the water out, are u wearing the pfd outside the rain jacket or inside....seems to me inside would hinder getting to the rip cord to inflate the pfd

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Ok;

dumb question maybe, but to keep the water out, are u wearing the pfd outside the rain jacket or inside....seems to me inside would hinder getting to the rip cord to inflate the pfd
Always outside the suit, but I wouldn't recommend a pfd that you have to inflate. Just get a standard foam based pfd. NRS makes a great one for fishing. It's warm, and safe..

Skunk

·
Registered
846 Posts
Help!!! Help!!! Help!!!! I was there and it was classic, but we did manage to recover most of your tackle. Hey, I've been there and done that too...:D

Skunk
haha the first turtle is always the most exciting

·
Registered
440 Posts
I also am against the self inflating pfds during the winter, especially the one you wear around your waist.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Plus they don't have any storage

·
Registered
30 Posts
Awesome Info, I've always worn waders but I was always worried about the water filling issue. Need to find a good dry top now!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Bingo, the pfd compresses the waders and the jacket, limiting the amount of water that enters. Getting back on your kayak quickly will also reduce exposure. Get a true dry top with good neck and wrist seals, and it acts like a dive bell. As long as the air stays in there it displaces the water. In th turtle classes that I assisted with, most of the wader wearing angler only got wet when they kicked up into the vertical position to get their belly over the seat.

Great dicsussion, maybe we will try to do an in water session again very soon.
I would be interested in that, I have done the flip the boat over just to try and get back in thing but it was summer and all I had on was shorts and a t shirt, I haven't tried to get back in wearing cold weather gear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts