Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've caught alot of different fish from the surf ,piers , and boats from New Hampshire to Florida but have never targeted Red or Black Drum. I'm trying to find out some info on when they start coming in and some of the better area's to look for them. I've seen some guys catch them around the jetty at Rudee Inlet. Do Red or Black Drum require different techniques or are they similar in feeding habits? Anyone know of any good books on fishing for these guys that I can get before they start coming in? Any info would be helpful. Better to use bait or are artificials good also?

Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Black Drum Tips

Use a 12" 100lb test fish finder rig with a good 8/0 Circle hook and defently use a pice of Peeler Crab;it doesn't have to be a big pice just a 1/8 or 1/4.I like to use a stiff 10' pole rated for 2-8 oz and 50lb Power Pro on the reel with enough weight to hold bottom on the rig.Its throw your bait out wait a long time and hang on if you hook one especally in a inlet that has strong currents.Even a 11lb Black Drum fights harder than a 20lb Striper.They stay deep and pull a little;its like trying to fight a 10+lb Spot.Red Drum is another story but I'm sure they fight harder.;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
lol don’t make me laugh I don’t want a Red drum if its under 30 and I don’t want a black drum if its under 60. and the people that keep them should be used for chum because a fish that big has been around for years and needs respect. Catch and Release is the name of the game if you like the little ones on your dinner table put the big ones back so they can make them. Same goes with Cobia if you let the big ones go they will produce a lot more little ones. Then a few years from now their will be a lot of medium size ones and I reinsure you that a few medium size ones will slip threw and become big ones..... :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Thanks for the info. I'm out here for the action and the thrill of catching the fish more so than looking for dinner. Winning the fight and letting them go is what it's all about . Are the Black Drum strickly fished for with bait or are there artificials that they go after?? I thought I heard of going after Red Drum with gold spoons and Hopkins lures but never anything about Black Drum on artificials. Is Rudee a good spot for Drum or is the Bay bridge tunnel better and what time of year does the action kick in?
Again , Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
There are times you can catch a Black Drum on Bucktail/Sqiud or Peeler but it seldom happens.Reds on the other hand will strike Spoons,Plugs,Jigs,Etc and you can catch Reds on cut fish.Black Drum like Clams and Crabs they dont eat cut fish or lures.The best bet is Peelers or cut fish(Spot,Mullet,Fatback aka Bunker) on the fish finder rig I discribed.;) I catch Black Drum on inlet jettys near the end at the jettys groin.;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks HAPPYPAPPY, hopefully I run into you at the jetties this spring and we can help each other land the beasts,
Thanks, Bulldawg

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Go up to Indian River Inlet in Delaware this summer and I'll probily do that;very seldom you'll see me in VA.I do hit the Easern Shore though for Red Drum,Trout,and Flounder every once in a wile.We cauld meet up.I hear the Barrier Islands have great Red Drum fishin in May but you'll need a boat to get there.When my dad goes Flounder fishin at Quinby I'll try to get him to beach the boat on Hog or Parramore Island so I can catch a fish in the surf.But,My first Red is hard to come by but theres always pleanty of Black Drum up towards Deleware area in the Spring to Early Fall.I might bump into you someday and I hope we'll get some monster fish.;)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Last year I did pretty well with Black Drum off the coast of GA. Landed about a dozen keepers (10" and up) with the biggest going about 15lbs. I use a fish finder rig with a 3/0-4/0 circle hook, 30lb test line, and a heavy 6' rod. For bait I used fresh jumbo shrimp w/head on and I buried the hook in the tail. Dropped it down next to a piller in about 3-4' water. I like to pick a piller located where there are big swells but no breakers. Set the drag/clicker and wait....and wait. When one hits...hold on they are strong...and most importantly try not to let the fish wrap around the piller or go under the pier. I love eating them...and one nice Black Drum will feed several people.

Don't really have "peeler crabs" down here but fiddler crabs would be my second bait of choice. I've never heard of Black Drum being got on artificials....but ya never know.

To see a couple of Black Drum I got this past year go to S.Carolina/Ga baord and look for thead titled Black Drum Pics.

My .02 cents

Oh yea, doing the same thing around jetties can be very productive also.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for more info. Are Black Drum year round up here just not as many as in the spring ? I've been working 6-7 days a week and when I finally got sunday off it had to snow . Hoping to get out next week and I'll hit the CBBT if it holds them this time of year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts