Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading down soon and plan to try for a drum or two off the jetties. Now we don't have the huge drum like y'all do up north, but they'll hit most any fresh meat right? Probably won't find any bait to net, so will they hit cut spot or whiting if I can't find anything else?

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Corn Mullet...Cob Mullet...Kernal Mullet...POcorn Mullet...Cream corn Mullet;

Just Joshing.

Any fresh cut bait will be fine. Fresher the better.
Ryan,ya forgot one of the yummiest of all treats for them,fatback.. sandwitch that on a hook with some cornbread,man what a treat.... :D:p

JK Smoothlures,ragging on Ryan.....

·
Banned
946 Posts
Are you talking about the ones in Garden City beach? If so, there is an incredible bait shop on the road to Murrels Inlet. I forgot the name, but it's a little shack with an absolute hottie working the counter. I think she's the owner's daughter or something. It's right before the harbor with the head boats. Anyway, they have most anything you would need. Live crabs, live shrimp, bunker, etc. It looks like a dump on the outside, but is a paradise on the inside :) I would check with them.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, Perry's Bait & Tackle. Great folks. Always try to spend a dollar or 20 when I go by. Wonder if they'd have fresh mullet this time of the year. I'll give them a shout today.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Heading down soon and plan to try for a drum or two off the jetties. Now we don't have the huge drum like y'all do up north, but they'll hit most any fresh meat right? Probably won't find any bait to net, so will they hit cut spot or whiting if I can't find anything else?
Kind of a 'forbidden taboo' for me to tell, but since you're in SC, figger it wont hurt lol.

tuna belly

Im sure you read of the drum bite up here in Hatteras. Read about Arch and George and the like. Well a lot of those guys (Arch is a charter boat capt), use tuna belly. Bloody, oily, fresh when you get it, cheap (free but give the cleaning crew a 6pack to make buddies). Not really spoken much about, not sure why, but a lot of the big hitters use it, and you'll never read about it or see people on the net bragging about it, but I'll garuntee that some of the guys that catch the most big drum on the east coast use it.

good luck
justin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.