Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks as though it's gonna get interesting... New standards on 08 vehicles say there is to be a sensor in all valve stems.. These sensors tell the computer in the vehicle whether you are low on air pressure.. A light will come on dash to warn you of this.. Only way to clear it is to have a mechanic work on it... This is what was told to me by my boss this week.. Guess I won't be buyin a new truck for a while to fish with... :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I have the sensor thingie in my car, 2005. The light goes off once you re-inflate the air back. Nothing to it that you should worry about. Go ahead and get the '08 Tundra, I know you want it. ;):D:D I know I do. :D

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have the sensor thingie in my car, 2005. The light goes off once you re-inflate the air back. Nothing to it that you should worry about. Go ahead and get the '08 Tundra, I know you want it. ;):D:D I know I do. :D
the new tundra is a beast i test drove one not to long ago that was fully loaded and that is 1 sweet ride with really nice pickup

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't hold me to this,but this is what my manager said.. "When the light goes on in the vehicle,it will have to be brought to the shop for mechanic to reset computer with special tool"... Being a body shop manager,it's another cost added to the wrecks that come in...
Sensor lights s*ck.. I have an o2 light on now in the Yota that I had fixed quite a while back,Tracker has one on also.. They both run fine,but lights are anoying,and drop resale value till fixed.. Now because of fuel milage, the gov has a new light for us to deal with when driving on the beach feeshin... If I do get an 08,gonna get a mechanic to disable,like to feesh off the beach too much...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure what the procedure will be on the `08's but on my `02 Tundra I can reset a fault by turning the ignition key to Acc 5 times within a few seconds and it'll take care of any "false" alarms. A "real" alarm won't reset such as an 02 sensor or whatnot. Each manf. has it's own special reset with varying levels of crazyness to the sequence. Also, the guys down at Advance Auto will plug in a box and reset it for free. That still doesn't take the hassle out of it though [sigh].

This is nothing more than our govenment sticking their noses into your life deeper and deeper. I'm sure some lobbyist is grinning ear to ear over his accomplishment.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
My 05 Tacoma doesn't have it at all, I guess real trucks are expected to have their tires aired down:D But in my wifes car she has the warning light if she is low on air. There is a button in the glove box you just hold when you start the car and it resets the light. Also those service lights that pop up on the dash. on my Tacomo you just hold the odometer and turn the key to start and it clears all the lights.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Scan tool...

...from Harbor Freight for about $30 on sale will reset the Check Lights on all OBDII compliant vehicles. That should include the the 08 models unless they have come up with something else.

Bill:fishing:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts