Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Amen catman! I caught me an 8 in flounder this weekend and that was a doormat to me!:D

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
WHO,WHAT,WHERE,WHEN,HOW??!!

Hey Gus, nice fish but who caught it, with what bait/lure,where was it caught,when,how?? You know all the stuff we normally talk about on the board. That is if you don't mind giving away some of the secret information.:D

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Greetings All!

A 5 lb doormat? That's the minimum weight for entry in the Cape May County Contest. You have to double that to have a shot at placing in the top three. But all things are relative -- If you been catching throwbacks for three weeks in a row, a 5 lber qualifies as a bath mat! Jason's eight pounder would probably be a pool fish most days on any party boat, and is a respectable fish. We'll label that a "wannabe mat", since the fish probably had the length but just couldn't catch big enough prey to put the weight on. Probably why the half-starved critter hit FL FISHERMAN's line!

By the way, the 13 pounder hit chicken bait. Maybe the lucky fisherman was using feathers and all... I'll try to dig up a picture of the critter.

Where's Duke of Fluke? He should be weighing in his opinion on the subject. Hope everythings all right ....

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well this thing was larger than a doormat, and 7lbs is a citation here. it was caught on menhaden at the second island in the chesapeake bay. i dont know what big is around your northern waters, but this is an excellent catch here.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Greetings gus!

This is big in NJ waters:

http://www.avalonfishing.com/flounder.htm

Sure there's a few five pounders mixed in, but you got to keep the women and children happy....

(I hope you know I'm just yanking your chain!)

Yo catman! We'll show you some Chessie fluke in about a week or so (of course they'll be from the Lower Bay, not the Middle Bay.) I think the low salinity is keeping a lot of fish in the southern end this year. Hopefully everything will be "right" by September, and we can nail some fat weakies from the Choptank Pier!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Greetings Anthony!

Eight inches? We call them post cards up North. Just write a short (very short) message on the white side, attach a 22 cent stamp, and drop it in the box!

I did have a keeper cough up a two incher last year. Back in the day, an 8-10 inch fluke was considered good striper bait (they even make a plastic replica nowadays.) We'll have to make sure Jaon gets his keeper next week!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Ha

I just caught that too! I would of been screaming like a mad man! Ha Ha To boot I didn't even reel in that 8 incher, Anthony did! Although I did have a nice 12 to 15 inch on and lose in the rocks. If I make it to PLO this weekend, you can bet I won't leave till I get a keeper. I will use all your tricks Anthony:D

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Greetings Jamey!

Some nice fluke being caught out of Brielle (7 lb pool winners), but your best chance for a "true" doormat is the Old Grounds. I think the Miss Cape May is fishing there every day. You have to be careful -- a lot of the South Jersey boats fill up with "tourists" on the weekend and just run out to the bay to load up on small croakers and an occassional fluke, but no doormats. With the extended season this year more boats should be making the run out to the Old Grounds after Labor Day....

·
Registered
44 Posts
DOORMATT

JAKE i wasnt aware of any extention on flounder i thought it was closeing on the 17 of sept if not when is it closeing that would help because thats when the monsters are around the best (when the mullet are thick) ZOOM

·
Registered
44 Posts
OCT FLATTIES

WOW i guess they figured they owed us somthing after f ing us on the tog i guess that the deer are going to have a good year with me on the wtr instead of the stand oh and jamie count on hitting some numbers im considerind slipping the boat at old bridge in ww this fall season mabey mid sept but i hate not being mobile thats the delema :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.