Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this post from NC Dept. of Marine Fisheries. Just goes to show...

For Immediate Release: February 7, 2003

Media Contact: Nancy Fish, NCDMF
252-726-7021

RED DRUM FISHERMAN CHARGED

MOREHEAD CITY - The North Carolina Marine Patrol has charged Robert Carol Jones, Jr., 29, of 472 Williams Store Road, in Hampstead, on Feb. 4, with selling fish without a dealer's license, selling both undersized and oversized red drum, and possessing more red drum than the legal limit.

Red drum are considered overfished in North Carolina and stringent harvest restrictions are in place to aid in the recovery of the stock. Commercial fishermen can only possess seven red drum a day (approximately 35 pounds) from a catch comprised of at least 50 percent of other species by weight, and all fish have to be between 18 inches and 27 inches.

Jones had in his possession 326 pounds of red drum - 242 pounds were undersized fish and nine pounds were over the size limit. He also did not possess a North Carolina Dealer's License, which is the license fishermen must have if they are going to sell seafood to the public.

Marine Patrol Sergeant Harold Knudson and Officers Adam Carter and Ben Jackson issued the charges. The court date is set for April 17 in Pender County Courthouse in Burgaw.

If Jones is convicted, the Marine Patrol will pursue replacement costs for the
illegal red drum of $1.14 per pound.

###

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
If Jones is convicted, the Marine Patrol will pursue replacement costs for the
illegal red drum of $1.14 per pound.
Did I do my math right? He'll only be fined (excluding court costs) with $371.64 (326 lbs x 1.14). I assume the total haul was illegal because he was licensed. But if we only calculate the undersized and oversized fine, it comes out to be $286.14 (251 lbs x 1.14).
Is it me or does that not sound like a big deterrent.
Meanwhile, isn't it like 3 Benjamins (per fish) if you possess an undersized or out of season striper in VA?

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
That fine is no good--it should at least be more than the retail value of the fish. Where is the disincentive to do this in the future if you still make money off of breaking the law?

·
Registered
23 Posts
SAD PART IS THAT IT MAY NOT BE THE FIRST OR LAST TIME THAT FELLA OR OTHERS SELLS ILLEGAL DRUM. THAT FINE IS NO MORE THAN A BUSINESS EXPENSE.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Considering he probably got at least twice that per pound formthe fish he sold before he got caught that is really gonna hurt :(

DEAN #3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts